BASEBALL: Ball State's losing streak extends to 5 games

For the second straight day, a six-run lead for the Central Michigan University baseball team was too much for Ball State University to overcome.

The Chippewas won the first game of Saturday's doubleheader 12-8, winning the first two games of the series. The loss extends the Cardinals' losing streak to five games and is the second Mid-American Conference series loss.

Central Michigan never trailed after scoring two runs in the first inning. The visitors took the lead for good in the fourth with a two-run inning. It extended the lead to six runs in the seventh inning with a grand slam from sophomore shortstop Robbie Harman.

Sophomore Kolbrin Vitek (2-2) took the loss for Ball State, allowing seven runs in five innings. Senior reliever Tom Mueller gave up the grand slam, but was charged with two runs. Mueller finished the game, throwing three innings and allowing one earned run.

Senior Dan Taylor pitched six innings to improve his record to 3-4. He allowed five runs on seven hits and struck out seven. Central Michigan was able to overcome five errors for the win. Harvey Martin earned his second save of the weekend, pitching a perfect final 1 1/3 innings.

Vitek and freshman first baseman Ian Nielsen each hit two-run home runs for the Cardinals and drove in three runs. Second baseman Tyler Kipke and designated hitter Nate Theunissen each had four hits for the Chippewas.

The teams will finish their series with the second game of a doubleheader because of impending bad weather Sunday.