WOMEN'S TENNIS: Doubles dominate in win

Ball State defeats Valpo 6-1 in kickoff of 'Think Pink' weekend

The Ball State University women's tennis team played pretty in pink Saturday when it defeated visiting Valparaiso University, 6-1.

The match was the kickoff of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics' "Think Pink" weekend, and the squad wore pink T-shirts to help promote breast cancer awareness.

"I really enjoyed the 'Think Pink' event," said senior Jennifer Pollack, who paired with senior Haly Calderwood at No. 1 doubles to win 8-1 and who won 6-1, 6-2 at No. 3 singles. "Thinking about the number of people breast cancer affects makes you put your life in perspective and be grateful that we are all healthy and able to compete on the tennis court."

The Cardinals (3-2) were especially healthy in their doubles play, winning 8-1 at No. 1, 8-3 at No. 2 and 8-0 at No. 3.

At times, Ball State used the "I-Formation" strategy while serving in the doubles matches, where the non-serving player crouches by the net near the center of the court and signals to the server which way they are going immediately after the serve.

"This is used to help throw the returner off, especially if they are hurting you with strong cross-court returns," said freshman Hayley Hall, who won at No. 3 doubles with junior Emma Retter. "Emma and I pulled it out just to get a little practice in with the strategy."

In singles play, sophomore Sophie Quist pulled out a 4-6, 6-2, 10-8 win at No. 1, and sophomore Katherine Rist captured her first singles win of the season with a 6-0, 6-0 shutout at No. 6.

Valparaiso (0-3) got its one win at No. 2 singles with a 6-4, 7-6 (3) win against Calderwood.

The Cardinals return to play on Sunday at Indiana University.