Mayor continues replacing officials

Changing line up of officials is common, police chief says

Newly appointed city officials will help keep Muncie clean and safe, according to Mayor Sharon McShurley.

Since McShurley stepped into office in January, she said, she has replaced some officials, some have remained in office and some have not reapplied for their positions.

McShurley said she looked for certain qualifications in the new applicants and current officials.-áPolitical party affiliation and personal relationships had nothing to do with her choices, she said.

"I'm looking for someone who brings something a little different to the table than previously," she said. "I need people that will help me accomplish my goals for the city."

Police chief Joe Winkle said he decided not to reapply to the position after 12 years in office.

"I'm at a point where I've done it for so long that it's time to give someone else a shot," he said.

Winkle said he encouraged Captain Debra Davis, who was appointed to the position on Friday, to apply.

"I think she'll do a fine job," he said. "She'll hit the ground running."

Wayne Huffman, newly appointed personnel director who replaced Rich Ivy, said McShurley replaced the parks superintendent, Ron Furbee, and the community development director, Ron Anderson.

Doug Zook will take the place of Furbee, while Connie Gregory will replace Anderson, he said.

Returning officials include Jerry Friend, building commissioner, and Mary Ann Kratochvil, controller, he said.

Alan Richards will replace Fire Chief Gary Lucas, Huffman said.

Lucas said he has chosen to retire from the fire department and his decision to leave had nothing to do with his confidence in McShurley.

"I think she'll do a great job as mayor," he said.

Winkle said changing the lineup of officials is common practice when a new mayor is elected.

"As a mayor, you have to have department heads you're comfortable with and are on the same page as you," he said.

New Officials

• Police Chief Debra Davis
  • Personnel Director Wayne Huffman
  • Parks Superintendent Doug Zook
  • Community Development Director Connie Gregory
  • Fire ChiefAlan Richards