COMMON SENSE: Women's basketball team needs consistency

Anyone who witnessed Ball State University's 21-point dismantling of three-time defending Mid-American Conference champions Bowling Green a couple weeks ago realizes who the best women's basketball team in the conference is.

On paper, no one can touch the Cardinals' athletic explosiveness on both ends of the court. At the peak of its game, there isn't a team in the MAC that can compete with Ball State.-รก

That was once again on display Saturday in Ball State's 80-64 victory against Akron.

Explosiveness? At one juncture the score shifted from a six-point tie to a 15-point lead in less than five minutes. Watching that stretch of play, it's difficult to understand how this Ball State team has compiled three losses in MAC play.

The Cardinals' lead grew to 20 points five minutes into the second half. That's when Ball State's only glaring weakness helped explain how the best team in the MAC is in a fight for first place in its own division.

Regardless of dominating almost the entire game, Ball State held a slim 65-60 advantage with 3:19 remaining in regulation. Its inability to slam the door on the Zips stemmed from its inconsistent play. It's the same inconsistency that has led to losses against Ohio University, the University at Buffalo and the University of Toledo, three teams with a combined MAC record of 11-10.

Acting head coach Lisa McDonald said all the right things to keep her team motivated throughout the game. In the huddle during the first media timeout of the second half, McDonald told her players she wasn't happy with a 20-point lead - they needed to keep pushing.

But in the ensuing 10 minutes of play, Ball State's lethargic attitude was glaringly evident. Sure it's difficult for players to keep their focus and intensity at a premium when the scoreboard shows a 20-point advantage. It's even more difficult when your opponent has an obvious athletic disadvantage.

But isn't that what championship teams are supposed to do?

There are numerous attributes that go into a great team: talent, coaching, depth, chemistry, defensive tenacity, multiple scoring threats down the stretch, dominating post play on both ends of the court, solid backcourt leadership. No matter the fan, those elements usually make the list.

But the most important ingredient that goes into the winning formula is consistency. Through consistency, every other vital attribute falls in suit. Midway through the conference season, that's the only ingredient Ball State lacks.

Talent and coaching have never really been issues, and when things are clicking Ball State is lethal on both ends of the court. Following their win against Bowling Green, the Falcons' coach, Curt Miller, marveled over the Cardinals' post prowess, and point guard Kiley Jarrett is enjoying a potential all-MAC season.

To this date, one of the Cardinals' other weaknesses has been a lack of depth off the bench. With the improved play of freshman Emily Maggert and with redshirt freshman Kyleigh Jones back from her nagging injuries, that's not a problem anymore.

One of the aspects that has led to Ball State's success has been a comprehensive understanding of each player's role. Porchia Green sparks the energy, Jarrett leads the offense in transition, Julie DeMuth scraps for rebounds and buckets inside and Audrey McDonald pulls through with clutch outside shooting.

Watching Saturday's game, one role was missing. No player seemed able to light the fire for her team and keep Ball State from almost surrendering a seemingly insurmountable lead. After losing former point guard Kelsey Corbin, who held that responsibility last year, that's been the case all season. Clearly, that's a void Ball State must fill if it wants to fulfill its aspirations of playing in the NCAA Tournament.

With seven games to play before its trip to the MAC Tournament in Cleveland, there's still plenty of time for Ball State to rectify its issues with inconsistent play. But the work has to be put in now before its too late to prevent an explosive conclusion to this season, in negative terms that is.

Ryan Wood is a sophomore journalism major and writes 'Common Sense' for the Daily News. His views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper.

Write to Ryan at rtwood@bsu.edu