City Lights poet to read at BSU

Award-winning writer became famous with epic poem 'Factory'

National Poetry Month kicks off with a reading from Antler, a writer who has dedicated his life to poetry, Mark Neely, assistant professor of English, said. Antler will read his poems from 7 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. today in Bracken Library Room 225. Admission is free and refreshments will be served.

"Last Words," one of Antler's poetry books, will be available for purchase at the reading. Antler will also sign books after the reading.

Neely and Robert Nowatzki, associate professor of English and director of undergraduate programs, organized the event. Antler was first made famous by an epic poem, "Factory," which was published in 1980 by City Lights Publishers, and has continued to write and be recognized for his accomplishments.

Neely said he was motivated to bring Antler to Ball State University for a reading because Antler is not associated with academia.

"It's good for students to know there are writers out there not associated with universities," Neely said. Nowatzki said he was interested in bringing Antler to campus because the two have been acquaintances for more than 20 years.

"It's not hard to understand what [Antler's] trying to say," Nowatzki said. "What he says really deals with profound issues about being alive and death and about humanity and wilderness and the sort of spiritual connection between humanity and nature.

Antler's awards1985 Walt Whitman Award1987 Witter Bynner Prize, awarded by the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters in New York City1993 Pushcart Prize

Poetry readingTime: 7 p.m. to 8:15 p.m.Place: Bracken Library Room 225Cost: Free