OUR VIEW: Legal ruckus

AT ISSUE: Students should take advantage of on-campus music service instead of illegally downloading files

Ball State University students can probably remember the days when file sharing software Napster was free and relatively safe. Legislation ended this revolutionary way of sharing music and promised harsh penalties for illegal file sharing. Now, free services like Ruckus are filling the void Napster left behind.

The Recording Industry Association of America is cracking down on illegal file sharing, and college students have become a top priority. The RIAA recently published a list of the top 25 worst universities for copyright infringement. Purdue University is one of 23 schools nationwide that received pre-litigation letters. Ball State managed to stay off both lists.

It's safe to say Ruckus played an important role in keeping Ball State litigation-free. Ruckus isn't a cure-all for illegal downloads, however.

Ball State students have had access to the Ruckus server since September. In that time, there have been three million free and legal downloads. If students had downloaded these songs illegally, it's likely Ball State would have received a few pre-litigation letters as well.

Before Ball State had any legal issues, university officials implemented a proactive solution and brought Ruckus to campus. This doesn't mean Ball State is in the clear, however.

Ruckus isn't the perfect solution - many students can't use the service because of compatibility issues with Apple products. Although the Ruckus music database is large, some students might not be able to find every song they want. These problems, and more, might cause Ball State students to resort to other, less safe, ways of sharing music.

Illegal downloading is the most easiest and most likely option for students not satisfied with Ruckus. Issues with compatibility and obscure artists are problems Ruckus has to deal with, and students shouldn't take matters into their own hands. If students decide to run the risk of illegal downloading, potential litigation is on the horizon for Ball State.

Ruckus and on-campus firewalls have kept Ball State in the RIAA's good graces so far. To ensure Ball State stays trouble-free, students need to keep the risks and consequences of illegal downloading in mind.

If students choose to continue getting their music fix illegally, the RIAA is likely to put up quite a ruckus of its own.