BASEBALL: Cardinals to play U. of Indianapolis

Ball State faces Greyhounds in first of two midweek games

After beginning its Mid-American Conference schedule Saturday, the Ball State University baseball team will play a non-conference game against the University of Indianapolis today.

Richie Fralick will get the start for the Cardinals on the mound. So far this season he has been mostly a relief pitcher. Fralick has appeared in seven games, starting one of them, and has a 5.28 ERA. He has pitched 15-1/3 innings, allowing nine runs while striking out seven and walking 10.

Fralick said there's no difference in his approach when he's starting compared to when he enters the game as a relief pitcher.

"The only real difference is I know exactly when I'm going to pitch," Fralick said. "I'm not sitting in the dugout waiting."

The Cardinals, who improved to 10-12 last weekend, have become more confident, according to freshman starting catcher Zach Dygert.

"[Confidence] is less and less of a problem," Dygert said. "We had a lot of young guys and they've gotten experience now. We've gained a lot of confidence."

Dygert has played in 18 of Ball State's 21 games, starting 15 of them. He has batted .220 in 50 at-bats, collecting nine RBIs.

Dygert's .220 batting average is second lowest on the team among starters.

"Trying to keep my mechanics is the big thing for me," Dygert said. "My timing is getting better each at-bat. It just takes time."

As the starting catcher, Dygert has to know the strengths of each pitcher on the Ball State roster.

"I've caught them all before, so all I have to do is adapt a little to the different pitchers," Dygert said.

Fralick and Dygert said it doesn't make a difference if the game is against a MAC school or not, as the Cardinals still need to get a victory.

"It's baseball, and everybody likes playing baseball," Dygert said. "We want to win the games regardless. Once the game starts I think everybody is just as focused as they would be conference or non-conference."

In actionBALL STATE VS.U. of Indianapolis

TIME3 p.m.

VENUEBall Diamond