LIVING THE COLLEGE LIFE: Seniors face unknown

When living in a world of adversity, there is bound to be some uncertainty. It seems we can't be sure of anything anymore. Nobody knows what tomorrow is going to bring, and that's the trouble, isn't it?

We don't know if we're going to pass the test that makes up 50 percent of our grade. We don't know if that report we spent so much time working on will get the grade we think it deserves. As the old saying goes: There's nothing we can be sure of except death and taxes. I am here to tell you that's one of the truest statements ever spoken.

With graduation three months away, seniors are standing at the cusp of graduating and heading off into the outside world. They will leave here with a higher education and a sense of accomplishment.

Some of them are excited, ready for anything. They are optimistic about their futures, but unfortunately, those seniors are in the minority. The majority of them will be worried they won't be able to find that job they've always dreamed of having.

Graduation is a time to be nervous, for it is a time of great change. No more teachers. No more books. Sure, for a moment there's a sense of relief - we're free. But there's uncertainty waving in the horizon as the graduates face a new day coming with no anticipated structure in their lives. So what's next? They may not know.

I know I don't.

As for me, there is plenty to be worried about. My grades were not the best in the past, and on account of that, my grade point average isn't up to par. I tried to get into graduate school only to be reminded that I am not smart enough, and even if I were to get in, I'd be out of my league. And even though I wish I could further my education, one of the main reasons I tried to get in the first time is because of the uncertainty of the outside world.

I'm sure I am not the only one who feels this way. There are many who are wondering what comes next. We have written out our r+â-¬sum+â-¬s, but some of us haven't sent them out yet and haven't given them to any employers.

Some of us are even wondering if we chose the right field of study. And there are those of us who haven't taken advantage of everything Ball State University has to offer. One such example is the Career Center. From the moment student first set foot on campus, this is the first place they should go. Getting started early is important.

Don't do what I did and ignore it.

With the rest of the time that's left of this semester, my advice would be to make the best of it.

Time is running out for us graduates. Before long, we won't get discounts to shows at Emens Auditorium. We won't get free rides on the MITS. Whether we believe it or not, there is much we will miss when we leave the hallowed halls of Ball State and take that first step into the outside world, where it will be up to us to make the most of our lives.

What's it gonna be? Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Write to Joshua at jsfaris@bsu.edu