YOUR TURN: Plan to improve UCC poorly constructed

The proposed UCC-21 program recently submitted to University Senate for consideration is poorly constructed and has little to do with improving deficiencies in the current UCC.-á

There is substantial evidence that courses in the current UCC have been successful in achieving the goals of this program. There is also substantial evidence that students recognize that they have benefited from the current UCC courses.-á

While such evidence has not been shared with the two Task Forces who have constructed UCC-21, it should certainly be considered by those in the governance system who are charged with approving any changes in the university's current UCC program. -á

The proposed UCC-21 fails to recognize the role of the current UCC as one element of the broad undergraduate education provided by Ball State University.-áThe proposed program is a program which reflects the view of higher education as defined by smaller liberal arts colleges.-áThe UCC was never intended to fulfill all requirements of an undergraduate education. The UCC was designed to provide basic academic skills and breadth with the expectation that courses in majors, minors, and upper-level electives would provide ample opportunity for depth. -á

Formal inclusion of courses from various majors as proposed by UCC-21 will reduce the breadth of common core experiences provided in the current program.-áThe overall goals of the current UCC are certainly addressed and advanced within all of our majors and minors. If someone has evidence to the contrary, they should share it with us.-áTo achieve the broad participation from departments throughout the university, the proposed UCC-21 program will result in the expansion of approved courses from about 70 to several times this number. The proposed program would be impossible to assess in any meaningful way, and it would be a return to the approach to general education that the current program was designed to replace.-á -á

The proposed UCC-21 program would require substantial increases in financial resources which would almost certainly have to come from internal reallocation - perhaps from the resources needed and intended/requested for immersion experiences. This reallocation would negatively impact the natural strengths and recognitions that Ball State has achieved as an intermediate-sized university.-á

Ball State is already unique within the state in its strong requirements in the UCC program and the direct contact between teacher-scholars and freshmen in the UCC program.-áThe proposed UCC curriculum would not only require significant initial training and curricular reform, but it would also require continuing training for new faculty.-áIt is likely that senior faculty would elect not to be involved in the proposed UCC-21 courses, and a vital advantage we currently have would be lost.-á -á

We have substantial evidence and assessment data in hand to document the successes of our current UCC program. Many of the assumed weaknesses are undocumented or reflect incorrect assumptions about the role of UCC.-áAn objective review of the current program's documented strengths and weaknesses followed by appropriate modifications is a more responsible course of action. Such an approach will provide the advice and wiser thinking of those who will be charged with implementing any proposed revisions to the current UCC program.-á

Thomas Robertson is a professor of physics and astronomy and wrote this 'Your Turn' for the Daily News. His views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper

Write to Thomas at trobertson@bsu.edu.