FOOTBALL: Offense receives spark from humbled back

Injured back makes return in big way against Buffalo

B.J. Hill made the most of his first start of the 2006 season.

After seeing limited action at running back because of a high ankle sprain, Hill brought some much-needed productivity to the Ball State University run offense.

Starting for Larry Bostic, who didn't make the trip to Buffalo last week because of a death in the family, Hill ran for 116 yards and two touchdowns in the Cardinals' 55-25 victory.

Hill said although it was good to make effective cuts on the playing field, it will take time to get adjusted to other things.

"It was tough on a couple runs going through my reads and things like that, but it comes with time and it comes with reps," Hill said. "So as the season goes on I think I'll be OK with that."

The 5-foot-7 sophomore from Lanhan, Md., shot some life into a running game that was only averaging 70 yards a game.

The Cardinals took advantage of a Buffalo defense that came into the game with the worst run defense in the nation, giving up more than 240 yards per game. The Cardinals ended with 232 yards on the ground.

It was a point of emphasis for the Ball State offense last week. In the previous four losses, the team ran for 194 yards total, which is less than 50 yards per contest.

Hill said the credit should go to the offensive line, which re-established the line of scrimmage and showed some attitude in opening up holes for Hill and MiQuale Lewis. Ball State coach Brady Hoke said the offensive line played better, but Hill made a big impact.

"I think we blocked a little better at the point of attack," Hoke said. "[Hill's] totally more healthy than he had been, so that makes a difference. You can see that on some of the explosive things he did."

With his ankle nearly 100 percent healed, Hill said he'd still have to play through the soreness that comes with a high ankle sprain.

"To be competitive you got to play through those things," Hill said.

The starter for Saturday's game is still up for grabs. Bostic started the first five games, but has only run for 141 yards on the season. The team's leading rusher, Lewis, is out for the season after injuring his shoulder against Buffalo late in the fourth quarter.

The brunt of the work could fall to Hill. In the first five games, Hill only accumulated 13 carries but was handed the ball 28 times against Buffalo.

It wouldn't be anything new for Hill. He started three games last year and was second on the team in rushing with 420 yards, including a breakout 170-yard performance against Western Michigan University.

Regardless, Hill said he didn't know if either he or Bostic will start Saturday, and it doesn't matter either way to him.

"It's hard to tell," Hill said. "We do some much rotation, it's really not important who starts or who does what. It's really up to the coaches but it really don't matter to myself or Larry."