FOOTBALL: Cardinals offense non-existent in loss to conference foe Central Michigan

Chippewas defense holds Ball State to 213 total yards

MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. - Ball State University's offense didn't produce like normal, amassing 213 total yards as the Cardinals lost to Central Michigan University 18-7 on Saturday.

In a game marred by poor offensive play for both teams, it was the Chippewa defense that made the difference. Central Michigan [4-3, 4-0 Mid-American Conference] came in giving up more than 400 yards a game and ranked 105th in the nation in total defense, but held Ball State [2-5, 2-2 MAC] to only seven points. Ball State coach Brady Hoke said his team didn't play with poise or composure.

"We played very undisciplined and not with a lot of character," Hoke said. "It's frustrating. We had some opportunities and we couldn't take advantage of them."

The Ball State offense was very conservative in the first half, settling on runs and screens instead of attacking Central Michigan's secondary. Going into the came, the Chippewas were giving up more than 260 yards per game in the air.

"We like to force the ball deep, that's part of our offense," Ball State receiver Louis Johnson said. "When a team drops eight [players in pass coverage], you can't force the ball deep."

Ball State quarterback Nate Davis statistically played his worst game of the year. He completed nearly 80 percent of his passes but was unable to generate any offense in the first half. He tossed an interception, threw behind open receivers and was replaced for a series by Joey Lynch in the first half.

"I don't think he played his best football game and he'd be the first to admit it," Hoke said. "But he's one of many who didn't play their best football game."

Central Michigan's own freshman quarterback, Dan LeFevour, played very well. LeFevour amassed 257 yards of total offense [171 passing, 86 rushing] and scored on a pair of touchdown runs.

The Cardinals had their chances.

With two minutes left in the third quarter, Brad Salyer scored on a one-yard run to close Central Michigan's lead to 12-7. On the drive, Ball State drove 76 yards in 13 plays, more than doubling the offense's total yardage output. Davis was 8-of-10 for 76 yards on the scoring drive.

After forcing a Chippewa punt, return man B.J. Hill fumbled. Central Michigan's Josh Gordy recovered the ball at the Ball State seven-yard line, and Marcel Archer scored from a yard out two plays later.

On Ball State's ensuing possession, the Cardinals marched 66 yards to the one-yard line. However, Salyer could not score on either third or fourth-and-goal plays, and Central Michigan took over on downs. There was controversy on the play, as it appeared Salyer got across the goal line but was ruled short.

"I was looking right at it and it looked like we scored and they started pushing us back," Davis said. "Everything went their way today."

One week after rushing for 232 yards against the University at Buffalo, Ball State's running attack was a non-factor. Larry Bostic led the team with 23 yards on nine carries.

"When you can't run the football effectively, that's always going to be a problem," Hoke said. "We need to possess the ball and protect our defense that way."

Johnson caught five passes for 49 yards, and Dante Love hauled in seven balls for 33 yards.

Darius Hill, who was 12th in the nation in receiving yards per game, faced double teams most of the day and did not catch a pass.

The Cardinals will be preparing for Western Michigan University this weekend in their homecoming match-up against the MAC East second-placed Broncos. The Broncos are currently 4-2 on the year and 2-1 in the MAC.