OUR VIEW: Getting the picture

AT?ISSUE:?Departments come together to create award-winning film

For the second year in a row, Ball State University has proved its departments can come together and produce award-winning work. By bringing together three colleges, the university has given students the resources to produce professional-quailty films worthy of the Student Academy Awards competition.

The College of Communication, Information and Media, the College of Fine Arts and the College of Sciences and Humanities pooled their resources and have assisted students in competing with nationally known film schools. Add a Lilly Endowment grant, and you've got the faculty and equipment for students to perform at the highest level possible.

Faculty members are here to show students the ropes and encourage their creativity, and the equipment gives them the ability to use that creativity.

Having had access to professional equipment and competent faculty, Travis Hatfield and Samuel Day have been able to produce a film that will receive a Student Academy Award next month.

This sort of collaboration and use of resources has placed Ball State on the national radar. By entering the Student Academy Awards, Ball State is going head to head with top-notch film schools like the University of South Carolina and New York University.

This shows what Ball State students are able to do when departments work together.

Ball State needs to continue to find ways for departments to collaborate and offer opportunities to students so they can take away much more from their programs than working soley within their colleges. The in-depth projects that come from these collaborations give students the opportunity to do something the typical college classroom doesn't provide.

Through cooperation, students have more hands-on opportunities and can learn more from each other.

Ball State can continue to play to its strengths by linking students from multiple departments to make stronger teams and produce better work.