LETTERS: 'Stop Hate' campaign does more than hang up banner; its goal is community unity

In response to Joshua Rowe's letter to the editor on Thursday: The purpose of the "Stop Hate" banner is to raise awareness about injustices in our university community. Obviously, raising a banner with signatures will not "stop hate." This is not the intent.

The initiative is to present a unified community against oppression.

The banner, its colors - red, white and blue - and the signatures symbolize our stand against discrimination as a national problem that must be confronted by everyone.

We need to be aware of our own prejudices and how they affect all of us.

We are not asking people to give up their power. In fact, our very goal is to empower and give voice to those who have been victimized by acts of hate.

We should understand that if we don't speak out and take action against oppression, we are implicitly giving our endorsement for it to continue.

For anyone who has been victimized by racism, sexism or any other -ism, this is an opportunity to do something. Signing the banner declares that you want a more supportive and affirming university climate for students, faculty, staff and others associated with our university.

You are not relinquishing your right to be hurt or angered by discrimination or oppression - you should be. Even if you feel an inequality has not happened directly to you, injustices are a threat to the liberties that we all celebrate.

Each of us has a right to progress in this society. We are against acts that attempt to hinder this progress by using fear and intimidation. To have an effect in this cause, we must be unified.

The "Stop Hate" banner is just one way to start to bring about positive change in our community.