TRAVELING RIVERSIDE BLUES: Drivers must watch for motorcyclists

Believe it or not, warmer weather is coming soon. Car windows will be rolled down, beads of sweat will reappear on foreheads, and sunbathers will lay down towels in their back yards. In no time, those poor souls who choose to wear flip-flops in 20-degree weather will be able to sport their toes with ease.

Rising temperatures will also mark the end of winter hibernation for our two-wheeled friend, the motorcycle.

To some, motorcycles are a noisy nuisance. To others, they're the ultimate way to experience the freedom of the open road. But to everyone who drives a car, motorcycles should be things to pay attention to and respect.

Last year's untimely death of junior Joshua Hudson in a motorcycle accident clearly displayed that even in pedestrian-heavy, low-speed areas of campus, all automobiles should practice vigilance without question.

It's an oft-stated quip among motorcyclists that before being granted a driver's license, every potential motorist ought to take a ride through city traffic on the back of a motorcycle. The idea is that experiencing first-hand the marginalization of motorcyclists in the usual flow of traffic will inspire future drivers to pay more heed to the other vehicles around them. It would also make them aware of the danger involved in simply treating a motorcycle like any other car.

My car weighs about 3,300 pounds. The average motorcycle weighs between a few hundred and 1,000 pounds. This is obviously a sizeable discrepancy that indicates the important fundamental differences between the two vehicles. If I hit the back bumper of the car in front of me at a stop light, it might nudge the car forward or cause the bumper to crack. However, striking a motorcycle at the same velocity would cause significant damage to the bike and serious danger to the rider, perhaps even tossing the rider from the bike.

For this reason, tailgating a motorcycle is an absolute no-no. Some motorists, when impatient with a slow or errant driver ahead of them, edge up to one or two car lengths away as if to say "drive better or I'll nudge you off the road." This arrogant attitude, far too often, has negative consequences in the form of traffic accidents. The Indiana Driver Manual suggests at least two seconds between two cars and even more distance between a car and a motorcycle, but bikers often suggest four car lengths between them and the vehicles behind them. Following a motorcycle at a smaller distance is simply an accident waiting to happen.

Many feel that they are alert enough to stop in time even when following too closely, but additional issues arise when motorcycles are concerned. Unlike larger passenger vehicles, motorcycles must be continuously balanced by the driver to remain upright.

If for any reason a motorcyclist loses control of the bike, it could fall down in the middle of the street and come to a halt, potentially pinning the driver beneath. If you were following this unfortunate biker two car lengths back, would you be able to stop from running into the fallen machine and its rider?

If this seems like a scary situation, that's because it truly is terrifying - not to mention life-threatening. Motorcyclists should be given at least four car lengths between their vehicles and yours at all times, in all conditions and on all roads. On the highway, they should be given even more distance. To drive otherwise is to invite danger for both yourself and the motorcyclist - and that's what fuels hostility between bikers and drivers.

Write to Marie at mmzatezalo@bsu.edu