YOUR TURN: Team Lisec offers 'everything we need'

Having been a member of the Ball State University Student Senate for two years, I have met many campus leaders. In only my second week as a student senator, I met the person I one day hoped would become our Student Government Association president. Her name is Asher Lisec. She had a natural ability to preside and lead that I have yet to see matched.

A year and a half later, I feel the same way about Lisec's leadership ability. As president pro tempore of Student Senate, she leads the senate in an honorable and professional manner. Lisec has written many quality pieces of legislation, cultivated strong relationships with many important administrators and garnered the respect and admiration from all who work with her in SGA. She truly is the senate's strongest leader and its backbone. In the desire to take her abilities to the next level, Lisec has assembled an incredibly strong platform and very worthy slate to preside over SGA.

Vice presidential candidate Rodney Blount has been a highly respected senator in SGA for two years, as well as a member of Black Student Association, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity and Excellence in Leadership. I can assure you that Blount, serving as vice president, has the ability and knowledge to lead the senate in a constructive and graceful fashion.

John Boone is Team Lisec's treasurer candidate. Over the summer, Boone successfully controlled and allocated a budget of $135,000 - almost double the current SGA budget - while managing a business. In the past year, Boone has proven himself to be an effective Senate leader, presiding over a very productive year as chair of Student Services Committee. He knows how to manage money, and I know he would do an admirable job with SGA's budget.

Secretary candidate Michele Faroh is a woman whose name is synonymous with quality leadership. She's been a member of University Senate, Homecoming Steering Committee, the C.L.A.S.S. Leadership Program and served as president of Kappa Delta Sorority. Aside from being an outgoing leader on campus, Faroh is of the strongest moral fiber. I am confident Faroh will be an outstanding addition to SGA.

In addition to being an outstanding slate, Team Lisec has compiled an impressive platform to improve Ball State. Team Lisec's platform identifies areas in which the slate wants to work on in its memorable catchphrase: "It's all in the C.A.R.D.S."

"C" stands for communication, "A" is for academics, "R" is for representation, "D" is for diversity and "S" is for services. Specific ideas include improved communication with the student body, a news ticker in the Atrium, waiting lists and notification for course availability, 24-hour access to all library resources year-round, residential learning communities, improved publicity for campus organizations, a new multicultural center, scholarships for multicultural students, a diversity class added to the core curriculum, a summer shuttle bus, improved commuter parking and discounts at local businesses as a service of the Ball State I.D. card. Team Lisec has researched each idea and is confident they can be implemented in the coming year.

Team Lisec is "everything we need" for SGA's executive branch: leadership, class, sincerity, professionalism and, most of all, the knowledge and desire to make Ball State a better place for all who attend it. I know Team Lisec will represent Ball State in a most honorable manner.

But please, don't take my word for it. Go check out both slates' Web sites, look at each person's profile on Facebook, do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

And as a member of SGA, I beg you to vote.

Write to Betsy at bamills@bsu.edu