Two slates prepare for election by presenting key platform topics

Cardinal Movement, Team Lisec engaged in competition

With two presidential slates running in the Student Government Association elections, the strength of their platforms, as well networking and name recognition, will factor into earning the student vote.

Last year only one presidential slate ran and students did not have an opportunity to vote. Members of both slates said they are glad there will be an actual election.

"I have all the confidence in the world the university is going to be informed in this competition," said Ray Hart, The Cardinal Movement vice presidential candidate. "Right now, with the drama that has been going on with it, the university has become interested. It will make people want to know what's going on."

Team Lisec's slogan is "It's all in the C.A.R.D.S," and the platform focuses on communication, academics, representation, diversity and service.

Specific goals include putting a news ticker in the Atrium, improving course wait lists, creating a Peoples Platform for students to express concerns and expanding the Multicultural Center.

Creation of a new Multicultural Center and stricter punishments are especially important to Rodney Blount, Team Lisec vice presidential candidate, said as a member of the Black Student Association and Men of Color.

"After recent events happening on campus, with names calling and people being spit on, that's not tolerated, and we want to show students we are in support of diversity," he said.

The slate has already begun work on issues related to increasing access to library resources and using Ball State ID cards at businesses off-campus Asher Lisec, Team Lisec presidential candidate, said. She also wants to increase SGA and student communication, she said.

"I really think when Student Government slates run for office this time of year, SGA gets the most publicity," she said. "If officers would run publicity while in office like they do then, almost everyone would know what SGA is."

The Cardinal Movement's slogan is "Moving toward a better Ball State," and the slate has four main issues on its platform. It wants to improve Dining Services, provide late-night transportation, revise the Academic Calendar and create a Student Memorial.

"We are going to be open for suggestions, and that's why we don't feel it's necessary to have anything set in stone," Scot Allen, The Cardinal Movement presidential candidate, said. "All we can do is things we would like to see."

The platform specifically wants to increase Dining Service hours, decrease health food prices and improve meal plans. Improving late-night transportation options will cut down on drunk driving, as well as increase business in areas like the Village, Hart said.

The Student Memorial would honor students who passed away while attending Ball State, and the idea has begun receiving support on the slate Web site.

More platform information is available on the slate Web sites, and both slates will be visiting residence halls and organizations around campus to speak to students. Facebook.com groups have also been set up for each slate.