Student tied up, robbed at gunpoint

Two residents of 322 N. Dill St. woke up Tuesday when two masked men broke into their house, tied them up and robbed them, according to Muncie Police.

The break-in happened around 5:30 a.m. One of the two residents freed himself and drove to Village Pantry to report the break-in, and police arrived at 5:50 a.m., police said.

"This is not the way you want to spend Valentine's Day," said one of the residents, who attends Ball State University. "I awoke to a shot gun in my face and two men in bandanas."

The residents, who declined to be named, said several hundred dollars in cash and their cell phones were stolen. The victims were bound and gagged with duct tape, but no one was seriously injured, police said.

The residents said they did not even realize someone was in the house until they woke up, and their German rottweiler did not begin barking until the guns were pulled.

The Ball State student said he had a gun in his car but not in the house.

The case is under investigation, police said, and there was no known connection between the residents and the men who broke in.

This incident follows a hold up at Applebee's Bar and Grill on Monday, but police said it was unlikely the robberies are connected.

"We've got nothing to indicate they are related," Steve Cox, afternoon shift supervisor, said. "The time frame is the only reason people are speculating they are."

One of the residents is moving out, and the Ball State student said he is also considering moving and dropping out.

According to Ball State policy, students withdrawing at this point in the semester will receive 30 percent of their tuition back. This policy has been in place for several years, and Kay Bales, dean of Student Affairs, said she felt it was fair.

"We did a study earlier in the Fall Semester looking at the refund policy and comparing it to other institutions," she said. "I believe we looked at seven, and what we concluded in the end was we have a very fair and equitable policy."