Presidential elections open online

Many students are unaware of SGA's purpose, goals

Beginning at 7:45 a.m. Monday morning, students can log online to vote for their choice of Student Government Association presidential slates. However, if the past is any indication, few students will.

Past polling statistics indicate the vast majority of students do not vote in SGA elections. In 2004, only 23 percent of students voted in the election. While this number is low, it is still more than twice the number of people who voted in the two previous years combined.

In addition, many students do not even know what SGA is.

One student recently asked if SGA was a fraternity, Team Lisec presidential candidate Asher Lisec said. Regardless of how much students know, SGA is the voice of the student body, and SGA President Steve Geraci said students should understand it is their opportunity to make a difference.

"SGA and Student Senate is a time for the entire student body to say one thing at one time," he said. "You can't get that in any other organization. When students want change they have to stand up and say it together."

The organization has been accused of inaction, but during the last year, under the leadership of Team Us, it has managed to help make Google the university Web site search engine, begin planning for recreation center additions, create a temporary trolley route to transport students to campus and tackle many other problems.

Team Us is only weeks away from leaving office, and two new presidential slates, Team Lisec and The Cardinal Movement, are vying for the executive positions that will be left open.

Candidates have been campaigning for the past two weeks by putting up posters, participating in debates and visiting student organizations. Just telling students who the candidates are and what they are running for has not meant much to most students, Lisec said.

"Maybe it's more important to let students know what the issues are than to be Student Government leaders," she said.

One of the most prominent issues has been communication, specifically between SGA and the student body. Also, the general lack of knowledge about the organization has highlighted the importance of communication.

SGA connects students with the university governing system. It is a first step for students to deal with issues and concerns and to write legislation on those issues to pass to University Senate.

"While the administration makes an effort to listen to students all the time, SGA really has their ear," Geraci said. "They at least have to give us lip service. It would be very difficult for a student to take an issue and pursue it to its completion without some infrastructural help from some organization like SGA."

That connection is what is drawing SGA newcomer Scot Allen to run for president on The Cardinal Movement slate. While he was president of Theta Chi fraternity until grade problems caused him to step down, he said SGA is an opportunity for him to reach the leaders and administration of the university.

"This is the organization with the strongest roots on campus," he said. "In the past, I dealt with organizations that were kind of out there on their own without so much guidance. I thought this would be a good way to see how far I can go with help from Ball State."

Besides voting today and Tuesday, students who want to become more involved can still apply to be on senate by picking up applications outside the SGA office in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center, Room 223, or online at bsusga.org. The forms are due back by March 14.

THE ISSUES

DiversityTeam Lisec: supported creation of a class, more minority scholarships, new Multicultural Center, and stricter punishments for hate crimes.The Cardinal Movement: supported more diversity in the people in Student Senate, particularly by organization or interest.

Future of SGATeam Lisec: supported keeping things the way they are, but increasing student awareness. Senators go to the students.The Cardinal Movement: supported deviating from legislation and formality to get the job done, inviting students to senate meetings. Students can come to them.

Muncie/Ball State relationsTeam Lisec: supports using Cardinal Cash off campus to help Muncie economically. The Cardinal Movement: supports increasing volunteer/philanthropic work in the community through cosponsorship.

TransportationTeam Lisec: supports extending shuttle through the summer, keeping the Loop.The Cardinal Movement: supports working with MITS to create late night transportation around campus and in the Village.

Student RelationsTeam Lisec: supports visiting organizations more, making cosponsorship more accessible, Daily News advertisements on organizations, news ticker in Atrium, People's Platform, elimination of all-BSU e-mails.The Cardinal Movement: supports visiting organizations more, making cosponsorship more accessible and encouraging students to bring issues and problems to SGA.

Student Services/Campus FacilitiesTeam Lisec: supports getting personal scanners the library, 24 hour library access and residential learning communities.The Cardinal Movement: supports making healthier food less expensive and extending hours of Dining Services facilities.

Other IssuesTeam Lisec: supports creating course waiting lists and adding local discounts to student ID card.The Cardinal Movement: supports re-examining the Academic Calendar and Spring Break dates.