Panel discusses abusive experiences

Students share stories on bad relationships, talk about recovering

Three million women are physically abused by their husbands or boyfriends each year, according to the Family Violence Prevention Fund.

Three Ball State University students shared their experiences with abusive relationships at a panel discussion Monday. The panel, as the first event in Vagina Friendly Week, addressed the effects of emotional, psychological, physical and sexual abuse in relationships.

Senior Kate Moore told of her struggle with abuse, which she experienced in high school.

"It's my way of giving a face to the abused female," she said.

Moore said she went through the typical stages of abuse. Her boyfriend began verbally abusing her, and eventually it progressed into physical abuse.

"I've come a very, very long way since then, and now I want to show what happens to survivors and that you can overcome these things," Moore said.

Abuse is not limited to women.

"It can happen to anyone - educated people, men, women, children, people you least expect," Moore said.

Sophomore Michael Messer said he had seen friends and family in abusive relationships.

"It's something that's very close to home for me," he said.

Messer's brother committed suicide after being emotionally abused by a girlfriend, he said.

Many people don't know or think about men being abused, Messer said. Because of that, it isn't talked about as much and often goes overlooked.

Junior Brandon York said he learned that it is important for people to know about male abuse because it's often ignored or not taken seriously.

Panelist Rhiannon Cizon said she was predisposed to be in an abusive relationship. She came from a home with emotionally distant parents and developed low self-esteem because of it, she said. These factors have made her extremely aware of people and usually stays away from relationships, Cizon said.

Moore said abuse in relationships could harm more than just the two in the relationship.

"I want them to see what abuse can do to people, both men and women alike, because my experience affected more than just me," Moore said.

The panel also helped the panelists heal.

"It's a very empowering panel," Moore said. "Every time I speak of my experiences, it's just taking that power away from the guy who did this to me."

Cizon said the first step is admitting that there is abuse.