OUR VIEW: Rock out with your cash out

At Issue: Students must be involved in decision making if more popular acts are to play on campus

Students will flock to Noblesville to see an act like Dave Matthews play in the Verizon Wireless Music Center. They'll pay an extravagant price for tickets so they can sit three miles from the stage and see his image projected to the size of a penny, then they'll pay for a tank of gas to get down there and a couple of meals along the way.

When they get home, they'll complain that Muncie never has concerts that good.

But if Ball State University brought someone like Dave Matthews to town, it would be taking a risk of around $100,000 because there's no guarantee students would pay the same price to see a concert in John R. Emens Auditorium that they'd pay to see the same act in Noblesville. The University Program Board needs more student input before it can take such financial risks.

Currently, UPB and Emens are deciding what major acts come to campus based on projections and estimates. They have to book safe acts they know will make a profit.

For example, UPB brought funk master George Clinton to Worthen Arena in 1998, but when ticket sales didn't meet expectations, UPB's budget took a $25,000 hit. Those kinds of losses have created the need for more conservative decision making about which acts the university can book.

UPB's goal is to find entertainers Ball State University students would be excited to see - that are also affordable. The board is a student resource - as are Emens Auditorium, Pruis Hall and Worthen Area - and the purpose of the organization's funding is to put on programming for the student body. UPB has a responsibility to make smart decisions with that money; however, Ball State students also must take on the responsibility of helping in that decision-making process.

Students have to take the initiative of suggesting acts they would pay to see. But to be feasible, those suggestions must be wide-ranging - for every Kanye West or Dave Matthews students suggest, they should also recommend a smaller-scale performer, such as Panic! At The Disco or The Pharcyde. For every hip-hop act, students should also ask for a rock band. For every new artist, students should also recommend an old favorite. The more variety student suggestions have, the greater the likelihood UPB will find the perfect act that's both popular and affordable.

At the same time, UPB should be surveying the student body more frequently and consistently, especially at big campus events, to keep track of changing tastes. Making it easier for students to offer input will increase the amount of participation UPB receives.

The key to bringing the rock - and the pop, hip-hop, and all the music students love - to Ball State is cooperation between event organizers and the student body.

With a little communication and willingness to pay reasonable prices for local concerts, the Muncie music scene doesn't have to play second fiddle to those of Indianapolis, Bloomington or even Noblesville.