MEN'S TENNIS: Ball State earns doubleheader win

Eastern Kentucky, Anderson both fall 7-0 to Cardinals on Friday

With a two-week break coming up, the Cardinals didn't let their focus waiver as they swept a pair of matches on Friday at the YMCA Tennis Center to win their eighth and ninth consecutive matches.

The No. 64 Cardinals breezed by Eastern Kentucky and Anderson on Friday to improve their record to 11-3 on the season. The Cardinals were never challenged in either match as they won every doubles match and every singles match in straight sets.

Against Eastern Kentucky, Matt Baccarani and Joe Epkey won 8-2 at No. 1 doubles. At No. 2 doubles, Tony and Jarrod Epkey also won 8-2 as did Patrick Thompson and Joe Vallee at No. 3 doubles. Baccarani, Joe Epkey, Tony Epkey, Thompson, Jarrod Epkey, and Danny Vidal all won their singles matches in straight sets.

The Cardinals shuffled their lineup in the evening match against Anderson. Tony and Jarrod Epkey paired together at No. 1 doubles to post an 8-1 victory. At No. 2 doubles, Joe Epkey and Joe Vallee swept their opponent 8-0 and Danny Vidal and Jose Perdomo won 8-2 at No. 3 doubles. In singles play, the Cardinals surrendered only one game as they won each match in straight sets. Joe Epkey, Thompson, Jarrod Epkey, Perdomo, Vidal and Vallee dominated the Ravens at No. 1 - 6 singles.

After the match, coach Bill Richards said his team responded well to facing two opponents they were heavily favored against.

"I was worried that we might let down a little bit after our big weekend last weekend, and we didn't," Richards said. "The guys did a very good job. This team's been very good playing these types of matches where we're the favorite."

Baccarani said this Friday's matches were an example of the team knowing how to get things done.

"It's what we expected to do," Baccarani said. "We just felt we had to go out there and take care of business."

The Cardinals now face a lull in their schedule before they face No. 66 UNLV over spring break in Las Vegas.

"Our match at UNLV will be a tough one," Richards said. "I think we're ranked a little bit ahead of them nationally, but it's our first outdoor match and they'll be ready for us. We had a real tough match with them last year."

Richards also said he will use practice this week to work his team hard and prepare to play outdoors for the first time this season.

"We actually only play five matches in the month of March, so that's kind of a rarity," Richards said. "But that's okay because we are making that transition to outdoors right now."