Emens unsuccessful with comedian deals

Booking difficulties mirror results for music performers

John R. Emens Auditorium and the University Program Board have also tried to attract top comedians like David Letterman and Dane Cook to Ball State University and have reached results similar to concerts.

Comedians' production costs are less, but in turn their artist fees are high, Brian Dietz, program adviser for UPB, said.

"We have looked at comedians from $25,000 to $150,000," he said. For the more expensive artists, tickets could be as high as $50, he said.

UPB and Emens pursued comedian Dane Cook last school year, Dietz and Robert Myers, director of Emens Auditorium said. Cook would have wanted all of the profits from the ticket sales, and the venue would pay for ticket costs, Myers said. That cost would have been passed on to the ticket buyer. Myers said he also tried to get Dave Attell from Comedy Central's "Insomniac" to perform on campus last year.

Successful comedians at Emens include most of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour comedians, such as Ron White, Larry the Cable Guy and Bill Engvall. Other successes included Dave Chappelle in 2003.

Adam Sandler was the only sell-out for UPB-sponsored comedians at Emens during Janice Altland's tenure as adviser (she is currently the assistant director of campus programs). Sandler performed in 1997 and tickets cost $15. Now his artist fee is somewhere near $1 million, she said. Last school year, UPB brought three comedians from NBC's "Last Comic Standing." Corey Holcomb and Todd Glass filled Pruis Hall for a UPB Late Night, Dietz said. However, when the organization brought Ant for a solo performance, UPB lost money because the hall was half-way filled.

In 2004, Dr. Drew, formerly of "Loveline" with Adam Corolla, was a bust, selling 300 tickets in Emens instead of the expected 1,000, Dietz said. The return of alumni David Letterman to campus was a near possibility during the year 2000, Altland said. "There were plans to have his show here," she said. "They wanted Emens to be available to do the show for several days."

Myers said he had conversations with Letterman's production team and that it was a "very real possibility."

"I don't know if I can comment on all the reasons that it didn't come. There were scheduling issues. There's an extraordinary amount of logistics to put on a large broadcast," he said.

Myers would not rule out an opportunity for Letterman to return, but said he is not a part of any discussion to bring him to campus.