Candidates will discuss campaigns

Both slates intend to talk with students at Scramble Light

To win last-minute votes in the Student Government Association presidential election, Team Lisec and Cardinal Movement are taking over the Scramble Light.

Both slates said they intend to spend the day at the corner of McKinley and Riverside avenues telling students about SGA, their platforms and the elections.

"I think the biggest thing is a lot of students don't know the issues or don't care," said Ryan Stemen, campaign manager for The Cardinal Movement. "We are going to try to hit those students hard."

Team Lisec spent all day Monday at the Scramble Light, giving out candy, buttons and business cards encouraging students to vote, and hanging gold and blue balloons around campus.

The candidates and their supporters met at 5 a.m. to blow up the balloons and hung them at 6:15 a.m., Michele Faroh, Team Lisec secretarial candidate said. She didn't mind the work though, she said.

"The thing is if you are going to spend all this time and all this money, you have to go hard all the way," she said. "Today is just fun because we've already done all the hard work getting out and talking to people."

Not everyone understood what the balloons were for, however. Freshman James Kasselman said he noticed the balloons but did not connect them with SGA or Team Lisec.

"I noticed those, and I kind of wondered what they were about," he said. "I don't really know that much so I probably won't be voting, but maybe I have to check it out now."