Speaker stresses legacies of King, Mandella

Speech highlights differences between 'soft power' and 'hard power' leaders

A former United States ambassador said global politics needs more leaders like Martin Luther King Jr. and Nelson Mandella.

James Joseph, who served as U.S. Ambassador to South Africa from 1995 to 1999, spoke Tuesday night at Pruis Hall for Ball State University's Unity Week. Currently a professor of public policy studies at Duke University, Joseph also heads the United States-Southern Africa Center for Leadership and Public Values.

Joseph attended a segregated school as a child in Louisiana and said the experience taught him the need for a tireless work ethic.

"We studied hand-me-down books in hand-me-down buildings," he said. "My mother told me I had to be twice as well prepared [as white students] for half a chance."

Progress has been made since his childhood, but segments of the population remain untouched by the Civil Rights Movement, he said.

"It's hard for me to say there's been no progress," Joseph said. "Having said that, there are still many people who haven't had the opportunity to advance out of the situations they are trapped in. For them there has been no progress."

Joseph said King's peaceful leadership style continues to serve as an inspiration for heads of government throughout the world.

"[He was] a patriot in the tradition of the founding framers, establishing justice to form a more perfect union," said Joseph.

Former South African president Nelson Mandella used a type of leadership style similar to King's that Joseph called "soft power."

Unlike "hard power," which flexes military might to achieve its goals, "soft power" uses social and cultural means to persuade people.

"Nelson Mandella is the epitome of soft power," Joseph said. "His influence came from the power of his ideals and the elegance of his character."

In the United States, many people say they agree with King's message but do little to back up their approval.

"It's better to carry out his mission than simply affirm his message," Joseph said.

Joseph said people could help carry out King's dream by serving their communities.

"Doing something for someone else is a powerful force," he said. "In building community, when you help to fight prejudice or dispose of bigotry you're more likely to find common ground."

Ball State sophomore Kevin Kolbus, who was in attendance, said Joseph's emphasis on community was especially poignant.

"You have to go outside your comfort zone," Kolbus said. "You have to work together instead of not changing anything or trying to change things by yourself. People need to work together."