Executive election materials available

SGA provides packets containing presidential election information

While last year students complained about a lack of information concerning Student Government Association elections, this year the election packets are available all over campus and the Internet.

Representatives from the Elections Board will be visiting residence halls to share information about the available election packets and the election process.

"Having the actual packet out is not going to do anything," William Garvey, Elections board chairman said. "We are going to try to do our part by going to the actual halls and speaking to them."

Election packets were provided to residence halls and student organizations Wednesday, Chris Kurtz, SGA vice president said. They are also available for downloading on the SGA Web site or can be picked up at the SGA office.

The Governmental Affairs and Student Awareness committee also discussed the possibility of creating a Facebook advertisement linked to a PDF of the packet.

This easy, and early, access to election information was recently written into the revised Election Code. This is partly because Team-Us ran unopposed last year, and students complained they did not know about the elections until it was too late to run.

"The current election board doesn't want an easy election either," Garvey said. "Students need to decide, to at least have some sort of choice."

In other news, the Student Services committee is looking into several issues that were brought up last semester. Students currently have to provide their own transportation or pay for an ambulance if they have to move from the Amelia T. Wood Student Health Center to Ball Memorial Hospital.

The committee is concerned that some students could not afford the ambulance or find transportation. Sen. Danny Gonzales is planning to meet with Director of Student Safety Gene Burton about using Charlie's Charter as emergency transportation.

Legislation passed before Winter Break concerning university e-mail filters was vetoed by President Steve Geraci at the request of the legislation's authors Boone and President Pro-Tempore Asher Lisec. Comments from other senators and Kay Bales, dean of student affairs, about the legislation made the writers reconsider the request, Boone said.

"When we gave it out, you guys gave us a lot of good ideas we didn't really think about," he said.

The legislation will be reintroduced in the next few weeks, after a meeting with Bales, Boone said.

To access election packets: