CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG: Teaching majors need to join organizations

Ball State University is a national leader when it comes to preparing future teachers, there's no doubt about that. This university has received numerous awards for outstanding achievement in fields ranging from Educational Leadership to Counseling Psychology.

The Teachers College receives a lot of recognition for excellent, innovative ideas such as the Professional Development Schools and the Learning Assessment Model Project. Also, the decision points system and the Professional Growth Plans are challenging students and turning out better graduates.

But something is missing: extracurriculars, clubs, service learning - call it what you will. Most of us in the education program are not getting off our butts to do anything we don't have to do.

There are more than 3,000 education majors here at Ball State. There are two main student organizations that cover a broad range of education majors: The Student Education Association (SEA) meetings are open to all education majors, and Elementary Education in Action (EIA) meetings are open to all in elementary education. These two groups have around 65 members combined -¡- that's only about 2 percent of the education majors. Plus, that's not even taking into account the people who are members of both organizations.

As president of the Student Education Association, it makes me cringe every time I hear students or faculty members in the education department ask, "What's SEA?" It happens all too often.

It's embarrassing to go to state functions for SEA and show other chapters our membership numbers, which continue to fall squarely in the middle of the pack. Indiana University at Bloomington had 167 members as of the December state membership report, and Purdue Calumet had 426 members. Who the heck is Purdue Calumet?

Sure, other schools are having a problem with apathy in professional organizations, but since when has Ball State been content to be average when it comes to teacher education?

I'd like to suggest that the Teachers College, starting with Fall Semester 2006, require proof of membership in one of the education organizations on campus as part of the first decision point - and certainly before passing the second.

Students could join SEA, EIA or one of the clubs for specific majors such as the Art Education Club or the Physics Education Club.

Money should not be a concern. If the Teachers College can require laptops - which are at best a $1,500 digital portfolio tool and at worst a distraction in classes as students send instant messages and check e-mail - certainly it could require students to join one of the professional organizations, some of which are free.

Professional organizations offer benefits for students working to become leaders in the future of the profession. Many organizations offer opportunities to learn about extra topics in the field. Some have opportunities for service, such as tutoring or fund-raising for charity.

More importantly, administrators and teacher educators alike know membership in a professional organization can make the difference on a r+â-¬sum+â-¬. A healthy grade point average and a job make for a good start, but potential employers want people who have done something extra. Employers know the people going to the meetings, fund-raisers and tutoring trips are the ones who will do the extras when they are hired - they will be the ones coaching basketball, sponsoring the newspaper or watching their students in a play or a track meet.

I applaud everyone who is active in an organization already - you are the people who will always be ahead of the game. Isn't it about time for everyone else to catch up?

Write to Brad at metalsifu@hotmail.com