OUR VIEW: More than intuition

AT ISSUE: Students should attend open forum to help understand university funding

This afternoon students will be given a chance to express their concerns over the potential of Ball State University raising its tuition for the 2005-2006 academic year.

Although it seems like their control is limited, students can still have an effect on how their money is ultimately spent.

But you have to speak up first.

With Indiana's economic situation and the amount of funding the state is providing its schools, tuition hikes seem inevitable. No one likes spending more money than they have to, but unfortunately these raises are a part of the growing cost of higher education.

Part of the forum's goal today is to explain, in-depth, the situation with Indiana Legislature funding proposals, operational costs at Ball State and the role of students fees in the university's budget. Together, this information can provide great perspective to tuition and taxpayers about where exactly their money is going.

The forum will then open up to audience members, who can then speak their mind with questions, concerns and suggestions. Without this knowledge and input, university officials are at a disadvantage when it comes to using its resources most efficiently in regards to its students.

That's where you come in.

By not attending the forum, students are showing a subtle sign of acceptance with tuition raises and the way the university is spending their money. Considering most students complaints we receive, they're anything but accepting of some conditions on campus. If nothing else, students should attend the forum to learn more about where their money is being spent.

Some budgets cannot be changed, especially ones at the state and federal levels. That said, university officials can do little to prevent increases when their general funding is limited. What they can do, though, is listen to students and parents to ensure that the money the school does take in is best spent where it should be. For an open forum designed to take student input, it can only be successful if students are present.

Chances are, if you don't have an opinion before the forum, you'll probably have one afterwards. And if nothing else, you'll know exactly where the money goes the next year you mail that check to the Bursar.