Ex-president considers return

Brownell might teach history at BSU if U21pedigogica ends

Former Ball State University President Blaine Brownell is considering a return to Ball State, this time to teach.

The 12th president of Ball State left the university on Jan. 31, 2004 to pursue a career as CEO of U21pedigogica Limited, an international network of universities in ten countries. Brownell still has his position at the network in Virginia but said the initiative may end.

"Nothing is determined," Brownell said. "I have not made any decision to come back, but we think very highly of Muncie."

While he has not engaged in any official talks with the university, Brownell said Muncie is a very attractive possibility.

If he were to return, Brownell said he would be interested in teaching courses in urban history, but it would depend on where the university would want him.

When he was president, Brownell was granted tenure with the university through 2007, meaning he can come back and teach at Ball State any time within that period.

Bruce Geelhoed, chairman of the history department, said he has not heard anything from official sources about Brownell's possible return.

Brownell said he has been keeping up with the university and corresponding with friends in Muncie. Brownell said he misses some aspects of the presidency, but he misses the people at Ball State the most.

"We haven't been back as often as we've wanted to," Brownell said.

He was in Muncie two weeks ago to retire from the board of First Merchant's Bank.

President Jo Ann Gora could not be reached for comment Wednesday because she was in Indianapolis.