CHEW ON THIS! Win some, Lose some

The verdict is split on The Giant Locker Room's new menu

The Giant Locker Room has been a village staple for years, but only as a bar to most. With a revamped menu comparable to nearly any other restaraunt The Giant Locker Room has now positioned itself to be a multi-functional establishment. A previous Daily News review gave the restaraunt a grade of C+. Can The Giant Locker Room overcome the rating stigma? Can they compete with other village food stops? Can Kasey and Chad eat and be merry? We'll tell you in the year's final installment of Chew on This!

Kasey: This week we made a stop by The Giant Locker Room, and I've got to say they have made a major leap of improvement in their food.

Chad: Well, I am stuffed. But all-you-can-eat fish can do that to a person. However, the Locker Room is about more than just fish. The selection is probably most equivalent to that of an Applebees, but that's not a bad thing, if you're into it.

K: Exactly. The Giant Locker Room had already established itself as a major player in the campus bar scene, so adding a massive menu to an already successful business could not hurt. But do you think they delivered?

C: The quality of the food ranged from good to awful. Thank God I'm no vegetarian, because their gardenburger was terrible. The hand-breaded fish that I had was pretty decent, and the cheesesteak was probably the best I've had since I left Philly, even if it was more like pot roast on a bun.

K: However, this is Indiana - you can't get everything right. I had the "Italian Stallion," a sandwich comprised of a half-pound piece of spicy Italian sausage, peppers, onions, cheese and marinara. I was stuffed to the gills...then I tried the fish! But seriously, it was hand-breaded, juicy, and in a word - delicious.

C: The food was average, and the prices were right on line with what they offered. However, the Locker Room's biggest flaw may be its location: business for a restaurant like this can't be very competetive with Scotty's Brewhouse right across the street.

K: This is very true. You really can't expect to compete with them on a food level if you're in the village. It seems to set the standard - it's got steady business and will probably continue the same way. But it is a nice change up. You can't expect to have a monopoly on something like this. It would really be up to The Giant Locker Room to step up and offer something more - it's a good thing they're also a full-service bar.

C: The bar is key, and if you walk by the Locker Room in the evenings on the weekend, you can see that they are reaping those rewards. The best thing the Locker Room could do for themselves food-wise is to diversify their menu. Scotty's is a culinary ogre, and nobody in the village is going to compete with them on a burgers and wraps level. The Locker Room needs to create at least one signature dish, something that somebody can get there and nowhere else.

K: Absolutely, but they're competitively priced. I guess the only thing that really seperates them is the food and establishment size. However, I can imagine going to The Giant Locker Room to get lunch or dinner and watch a game with some friends. It has bar benefits with restaraunt food. Plus, say you're in the village one weekend night...if they keep the kitchen open during party hours then it could be a real hotspot.

C: Yeah, maybe ... if you can even get in the door during said party hours. The Locker Room is a great place for drinks, and a decent place to eat if you're looking for a place that isn't going to be that busy. Me? I'll probably be at Scotty's with everyone else, eating Dill Chips and black bean quesadillas.

K: Yeah, well you ate a ton of that fish. 10 pieces. Plus we sampled a lot of different food and enjoyed most of it. I say you're not giving credit where credit is due.

C: I can get fish anywhere. Show me something new! Hamburger night is a good deal for some decent burgers, but other than that, I think the only thing the Locker Room is good at is being average.

K: Well I guess that we can agree to disagree and, for the first time ever, two different ratings.