WOMEN'S BASKETBALL BSU goes to Central to end regular season

Team just looking to continue improving before tournament

The women's basketball team will try to end the regular season with its fourth straight victory when it travels to Central Michigan on Tuesday.

Three games ago, head coach Tracy Roller said there was a long list of things her team needed to fix before the Mid-American Conference Tournament. Three wins later she said that list is much shorter.

"If a team stops our transition offense, how are we going to handle it?" Roller said. "That's really the only thing left that I don't feel consistently sure about."

She passed a few other small question marks, but for the most part said ending on a positive note is key.

Senior Kate Endress, who leads the team in scoring, just wants to see the Cardinals play a complete 40 minutes.

"We have to look at Central as another obstacle on our way and we have to play 40 minutes of basketball so we're ready for that tournament," she said.

When Ball State and Central Michigan met earlier this season in Worthen Arena the teams ended up playing 50 minutes. The Cardinals won 81-78 in double overtime.

In that game Central's Lindy Hatfield scored a game-high 26 points, while Endress put up 23 for Ball State. Roller said her team needs to stop Hatfield this time. However the Cardinals are still focusing more on themselves.

"This is another game where it's about us," Roller said. "We're still thinking about ourselves and how we can get better everyday.

"The last three games have really given us a lot of confidence. It's a good time to be playing your best ball."

The Cardinals already know they will play a home game in the first round of the MAC Tournament, which begins Saturday.

"We're just having a lot of fun on the court right now," Roller said. "Being back on the court and back at home is kind of a good thing."

If the season ended today Ball State would be the fifth seed and play Akron, the 12th seed, at home.

"We're not going to be satisfied with this season until we win that tournament," Endress said.