Spring recruits renew energy

Semester enrollment expected to rise as more chapters report

Ball State University's fraternities and sororities have undergone a productive Spring Recruitment, welcoming about 77 students so far this semester, the Interfraternity Council president said.

As several chapters continue to recruit students, they are excited about the life, energy and fountain of ideas new members will bring to the greek community, Brady Akers, president, said.

"They'll bring a really nice energy for the spring," Akers said. "For us older guys, sometimes the energy fades away a little. The new energy will run off on everybody."

Sororities have recruited 44 members so far this semester, which matches the total number of women recruited during Spring 2004, Maria Bumbalough, secretary for the Office of Student Organizations and Activities, said. Fraternities so far have recruited 33 new members, compared to a total 74 members recruited in Spring 2004.

This spring's fraternity and sorority recruitment totals are expected to rise because several chapters have not yet reported their numbers, Bumbalough said. Several chapters still have room for more members and are continuing open recruitment throughout the spring.

Spring Recruitment has always been productive for greek organizations because it is less formal than Fall Recruitment and promotes a more relaxed environment for students, Akers said. It especially tailors to freshmen who were skeptical about going greek in the fall, Kori Knoll, vice president of recruitment for the Panhellenic Council, said.

Knoll was excited because many students who attended the PHC kickoff activity fair in January decided to go greek this spring, she said. About 46 students attended the fair.

Knoll's primary goal this semester is to work closely with the IFC and to help organize events that will make Fall Recruitment 2005 even more effective, she said.

The greek system's biggest goal, however, is to continue growing not only in membership size, but in quality, she said.

"The people we recruit are going to make or break the greek system in the coming years," Knoll said. "If we can base our decisions on quality, then we're doing really well. We want to have a positive image on campus, and that starts with recruitment."

Students who went greek this spring will benefit because fraternities and sororities serve as an instant friend base that will provide them with support and help enhance their leadership and community service, Knoll said.

"Some people criticize the system and say you're buying friends, but that is a big misconception," she said.

Akers said being part of the greek community has helped him fulfill his potential.

"I've had leadership opportunities and other opportunities to step up and show what I can do," Akers said. "It has really helped bring out the best in me."

Knoll is pleased many students have taken advantage of the opportunity to go greek this spring, she said. She is confident they have made one of the most important decisions of their college careers, and the greek community is fortunate to have them, she said.

"It's exciting," Knoll said. "We're always getting new people, and that keeps a continual freshness and a flowing of new ideas."