FOOTBALL: Trio of ex-Cards complete workouts at NFL Combine

Beriault, Hodges, Ridgeway could all be drafted in April

Tuesday marked the end of the annual NFL Draft Combine in Indianapolis, and three 2004 Ball State players attended.

Dante Ridgeway -- who finished his junior season as the top receiver in school history, then declared for early entry into the draft -- said the combine was a good experience for him. He was in Indianapolis from Thursday through Sunday.

"It got to meet a lot of guys I'd seen on TV, a lot of receivers," Ridgeway said. "It was good getting to know the clubs."

Punter Reggie Hodges and safety Justin Beriault also attended the combine. Hodges completed his workouts Friday and Beriault's last day of workouts was Tuesday.

Ridgeway said he was told by team personnel officials his workout went well, and that he could get drafted in the second or third rounds, depending on how he performs in his "Pro Day" workout at Ball State on March 15.

"I really didn't have any expectations," Ridgeway said. "It was a lot better than what some people made it out to be."

After passing up his final season of eligibility and declaring for the draft in January, Ridgeway worked out in New Orleans with trainer Tom Shaw, attempting to improve his speed. Ridgeway said he worked out with "about 30 guys," including Hodges, who like Ridgeway is represented by Fort Wayne-based agent Roosevelt Barnes.

"It helped me out a lot," Ridgeway said of his speed training. "I don't know if I dropped my time but I ran a 4.51 (in the 40-yard dash) at the combine."

Ridgeway did get to talk some with his Ball State teammates, in addition to hearing about some of Hodges' exploits.

"I heard from other people that he was kicking the heck out of the ball, and he really improved his stock," Ridgeway said. "I talked to Beriault one day there and over the phone the day before. He wished me good luck."

NFL.com draft expert Gil Brandt rates Hodges and Tennessee's Dustin Colquitt as the top two punters available. If Hodges made a roster, he would be the lone black punter in the NFL.

Beriault and Hodges could not be reached for comment.

In 2004, Ridgeway caught 105 passes for 1,399 yards (both school records) and eight touchdowns. In three years he snared 238 receptions for 3,030 yards -- also school records.

Beriault, who was a four-year starter, recorded 125 tackles in 2004 and 508 over his career. Hodges averaged 42.6 yards per punt as a senior and dropped 20 kicks inside the 20-yard line.

All three players were named First Team All-Mid-American Conference.