THE O'HARGAN FACTOR: Everyday decisions tie us all together

How often do we, as humans, think that nothing matters?

We throw away a piece of trash, steal some chump change, we makean excuse that our actions "won't ever really hurt anyone" becausewe never see the direct impact.

The direct impact is not the only impact, however, and sometimesthe effects of our actions can reach far beyond our reach.

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

That means that every thing, every little, pointless thing youdo will effect someone's life in some way.

We often laugh at this thought, passing it off as untrue. Buthow often to you yell at someone about something you have done? Ido it quite often, especially in traffic.

Well, yelling at that person will make you angrier, which willincrease the chances of your decisions being clouded.

Then, of course, you spill coffee on your lap, causing you toslam the brakes.

Then the people behind you have to brakes to not slam intoyou.

The people behind them have to slow down, and so on and soforth.

And eventually you've got a traffic jam.

Some people use religion or "karma" to hold them to be nice. Isay these things are unnecessary because being nice is the rightthing to do. Sure, it doesn't get you anywhere with the other sex,it makes you easy to walk all over, and it makes it much easier topush you around, but if you believe the first statement, that "it'sthe right thing to do," than that shouldn't matter.

This is not to say to worry about what other people think, infact it is much the opposite. Everyone on Earth knows what is rightand what is wrong. It in ingrained into us, into our souls. Somethings are "culturally wrong" this is true, but the biggies(murder, rape, hate) are known across the board.

So, it can only be understood that you know what is a good thingand what is a bad thing.

There's no "I didn't know what I was doing was wrong" excusewith life. Because, as long as you believe there's a consequence inthe end than you know what you have to do to meet thatrequirement.

But perhaps, instead of holding ourselves to religious ideals orsocial norms (not that these are bad things) perhaps we should holdourselves to our own humanity. Perhaps we should hold ourselves toevery person in the world because everything we do can affect themin some way.

The fact is everything you do matters.

That means that every good thing you do affects someoneelse.

That means that every time you do a good thing, someone else ishappy.

And if you have never seen joy in seeing someone else happy,than I would argue that you are too selfish for your own good. And,if you can't understand how you can see joy in making someone elsehappy, I suggest you give it a try.

We only have one planet to share between a growing number ofpeople, and with more people and technology, we are more connectedthan we ever have been before.