Asian quiz game teaches students about culture

Event points out fortune cookies come from Los Angeles

Students learned about Asian culture and history by playingAsian American jeopardy Monday night.

"We asked questions ranging from pop culture to food in order toexpose students to more Asian culture and to see what they alreadyknow," Elizabeth Douglass, president of the Asian American StudentsAssociation, said.

Students were handed question and answer sheets and divided intothree groups according to the color of their sheets as they filedinto the room. Each team had a leader who answered thequestions.

Points for categories started at 100 for the easiest questionsand increased to 500 points for the more challenging questions.Topics included history, popular culture, famous people, sports andmiscellaneous.

Despite technical difficulties with the projector, audiencemembers said the activity was interesting and fun.

"The game show idea made things a lot more interesting,"sophomore and leader of the blue team Danielle Frazier said. "Itwas a cool way to get to know people on your team."

Frazier, an elementary education major, attended the event forcredit in her Anthropology 101 class but said she plans onattending other events of the Asian American Awareness Series, suchas the Asian Fashion Show and the Martial Arts presentation, on herown free will.

"I thought the most interesting fact that I learned was that ifyou are offered 'fragrant meat' in China it means 'dog,'" Fraziersaid.

While competing in the food category, students learned that LosAngeles is the city that invented Chinese fortune cookies andketchup was first made in China.

Students learned that Abercrombie and Fitch designed shirts thatdisplayed derogatory quotes such as "Wong Brothers' LaundryService: Two Wongs Make it White" and "Shake Your Buddha" throughcompeting in the popular culture category.

"These are people who care a lot about what they do, and it isso good to see the effort turn out so well," junior and AASA memberChristina Simmons said of her involvement in the association.

The next AASA event is a guitar performance at 7 p.m. today inthe L.A. Pittenger Student Center.