OUR VIEW: Safe and sound?

AT ISSUE: Last week's parking lot break-ins should have been prevented

We often hear of horror stories from shopping mall parking lotsand big city parking garages: cars parked with a sense of security,left for a matter of hours and only later discovered with shatteredwindows, picked locks and missing belongings.

Victims' stories are told, emotions are shared and, in the end,at least one person always manages to say, "I can't imagine whatthat feels like."

Thirteen students now know that feeling.

But they shouldn't.

Late last week 13 cars in the H-2 parking lot, all side to side,were broken into. This week, 13 students have the added unfortunatechore of having to deal with the aftermath of that crime.

The question must be asked: Why did this happen?

Surely Ball State, as with any other college campus, experiencesits fair share of vehicle break-ins each year; but 13 cars... in arow?

Students pay money for parking passes, not just for the thoughtof having a parking spot on campus, but also to allow them a small,yet not guaranteed piece of mind that their vehicle and belongingsare being monitored and guarded.

These students no longer feel that security; and we begin todoubt ours, too.

Crimes will inevitably happen and not every incident can beprevented. However, it is disgusting to think that the person orpersons responsible for these selfish acts had the time to breakinto 13 cars back-to-back without one person noticing.

Certainly something can be done to help ensure the safety of ourvehicles and that which resides within in.

Benny and Frogbaby have 24/7 security cameras; but not ourparking lots. Today, Wal-Marts, Meijers and numerous other publicfacilities feature security cameras and specialized patrols to helpmonitor parking lots.

Is it too much to ask to have that same security at ourschool?