OUR VIEW: Maybe next time

AT ISSUE: Debate worth watching, but could have added more valuable information

As Americans sat intently watching their television screens lastnight, they were given a look at two very different men with onevery similar goal.

Getting our vote.

For 90 minutes, President George W. Bush and democratic opponentJohn Kerry indirectly debated each other in hopes of persuading theviews of voters across the county.

They were under harsh, self-imposed regulations and had thechallenging task of proving why their beliefs and views for thiscountry should be those we, as voters, trust.

Fact of the matter is: anything said during last night's debatewe already knew.

Undoubtedly to someone, somewhere, some piece of informationpresented by either candidate came across as "new news." On anindividual level, this may have been the case. In the grand schemeof things, however, we failed to hear anything strikingly new fromeither candidate.

Even their personalities seemed par for the course.

Both President Bush and Kerry are strong speakers - or debatersat the very least. They have each, time and time again, held theirown in debates in examples that date back to the earliest days oftheir political careers. Although this led to fewer slip-ups orfoul-ups and, in turn, a relatively (dare we say) boring debate, itwas still worth the time to see it.

The topic of the debate, set under the umbrella of foreignpolicy and homeland security was, also helped influence the mood ofthe debate. Future debates are set to include economic and domesticpolicy questions, as well as questions from select members of thegeneral public during the Oct. 8 town hall debate.

As politics begin to play their course, the mudslingingcontinues to pick up and election day draws closer, the candidatesare more likely to start speaking up, hitting hard and holding firmin their beliefs.

Only then will things truly get interesting.

Until then, we are just along for the ride.