FOOTBALL Akron QB awaits Cards

Ball State ranks last in MAC in pass defense, scoring defense

Akron senior quarterback Charlie Frye is considered by manyscouts to be a strong first-round possibility in the next NFLdraft, possibly higher than Purdue's Kyle Orton.

Considering how Ball State (1-3 Mid-American Conference, 1-6overall) fared against Orton and other top-notch quarterbacks thathave picked apart the Cardinals secondary this season, Saturday'smatchup with the host Zips (3-1, 3-4) in the Rubber Bowl would seemuninviting.

"He reminds me a lot of Drew Bledsoe, with the way he throws,"said BSU head coach Brady Hoke. As an assistant at Oregon State,Hoke faced the current Buffalo Bills quarterback when he was atWashington State. "He's got the same touch and puts the ball righton the money. He's as good as any QB we've faced."

Frye, who has already rewritten the Akron passing records andwill finish with several MAC records, has completed 64 percent ofhis throws for 1,429 yards, nine touchdowns and six interceptions.He has had to adjust to new coach J.D. Brookhart's offense, butBrookhart feels that Frye has come on strong lately.

"He's been playing well," Brookhart said. "His stats aren'tgaudy by any means, but he's been playing with some injuries."

The Cardinals rank last in the MAC in pass defense (305.7 yardsper game), total defense (475.3) and scoring defense (39.1), buthave improved against the run in recent weeks, climbing to eighth(169.6 yards).

Meanwhile, Akron has struggled until recently to give Frye arunning game to support him. Brett Biggs' 545 yards lead the Zips,who average under 100 rush yards per game.

"You always want to do a good job against the run game," Hokesaid. "We're playing a more conventional offense than last weekend(a 51-13 loss at Bowling Green). I think we're playing betteragainst the run, but we're not near where we need to be."

Brookhart sees a BSU defense that is growing in Hoke's system,citing safeties Justin Beriault and Erik Keys as "really good."

"I've been impressed with some things up front," Brookhart said."They're sound and solid, not a fancy team."

On offense, Ball State is scoring just 15.7 points per game, buthas committed just three turnovers -- an interception and twofumbles. Considering the offensive line has yielded 28 sacks andtrue freshmen are now entrenched at tailback and quarterback, it issomething Hoke's team can hang its hat on.

"There's no question that's been a big positive," Hoke said. "Wehave to continue doing a good job of ball security, and we have todo better job defensively of getting it back."

Adell Givens has rushed for 539 yards for the Cards, while ColeStinson has passed for 1,004 with five touchdowns and a pick.Junior Dante Ridgeway (63 catches, 831 yards), is the nation'sleading receiver.