Cutting hair, keeping company

Two Muncie cousins bring more to the barbershop than a trim or a buzz

In days of yore, barbers were important men in town. They werethe medicine men and the priests. They were who you went to for alot of things, aside from their most obvious function. Today, theconvention of a barber as more than a guy who cuts your hairremains, and Cuttenup, a barber shop located in downtown Muncie, isa prime example.

Cousins Dion Sloss and David Bradley started Cuttenup six yearsago, and to this day they handle every head looking for a trimthemselves. Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sloss andBradley can be found at their stations, styling hair and talkingwith customers and anything ranging from sports to cars towomen.

Sloss, 34, has been cutting hair for about 20 years, but hasonly seriously pursued the craft for the last eight, Sloss said.His slightly younger and far more shy cousin, Bradley, 28, begancutting hair when he attended barber school about seven years ago,Bradley said.

During a recent visit to Cuttenup, eleven-year-old BrendanBarnes shifted his green-colored bib as Sloss diligently worked onhis hair. Sloss has been cutting Barnes' hair all of Barnes' life.Barnes started to make trips to Cuttenup about three years ago, andsince has been making regular trips about once every two weeks.

What draws Barnes back to Cuttenup every two weeks? ThePlaystation Sloss and Bradley have set up for customers to playwhile they wait. When customers aren't battling the forces of evil,they're usually watching whatever game is on at the time, orperusing the items of clothing Sloss and Bradley hang on the wallsand sell to interested customers.

Because people would normally have to travel to Indianapolis tofind brands such as Sean John, Phat Pharm and Rocawear, Sloss andBradley decided it might benefit their customers if they couldprovide these coveted items a little closer to home.

"Most guys would come to get a haircut and talk about goingshopping or to the mall afterward," Sloss said. "This way, they cankill two birds with one stone."

The beauty shop next door, also owned by Sloss and Bradley,offers clothing and accessories aimed more at women.

While Sloss finished up young Barnes' hair, Bradley just beganworking on customer Tony Watkin's hair.

Watkins has been a loyal customer since the beginning, when hewas driving around six years ago and came across the newly-openedshop, Watkins said. He said what keeps him from even thinking aboutgoing elsewhere is that the service is great and the prices arefair. He can also get a nice shave and have a lot of fun at thesame time.

"They give the best haircuts in town," Watkins said. He said hewould recommend the shop to anyone that "can take a joke."

Jokes are plentiful at Cuttenup. Watkins said that on top of allthe other reasons he comes to Cuttenup is the comedy.

"[This] barbershop is like therapy. I come here every week tohave a good laugh," Watkins said. "College students should comehere because the barbers are young and hip to today'sfashions."

Another popular subject is sports. Cuttenup is known to havefrequent strong basketball debates, at least once or twice a week.Occasionally they also hold Playstation tournaments.

The attractions at Cuttenup keep some people coming back just tohang out.

"Sometimes we will have about 15 people waiting around," Slosssaid.

The popularity of the shop has caused Sloss and Bradley toexpand over the years, and another remodeling project is in theworks for the next couple of months.

Sloss and Bradley said that they don't advertise.

"Most people find out by work of mouth," Sloss said. Manycustomers are friends or relatives of Bradley and Sloss. Manycustomers also don't live in Muncie, with many traveling fromnearby towns just to experience the shop.

Customer Brandy Sharp and her three sons -- Jordan, Zane andZack -- make the 20-minute drive from Dolesville to the shop everyThursday. Sharp said that the drive is well worth it.

"The boys like coming here and playing games on thePlaystation," she said.

Sloss and Bradley welcome anyone to stop by, and most customersfeel right at home within minutes, they said.