WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Cardinals face tough competition at three-day tournament in Nebraska

Team will not be overconfident after suffering first defeat

LINCOLN, Neb. -- The Ball State women's volleyball team (3-1)has one loss because it took an opponent lightly. That shouldn't bea problem this weekend, though, when the team competes againstthree schools that were in last year's NCAA Tournament.

The Cardinals will travel to Lincoln, Neb. where they will faceNo. 2 Nebraska (3-0), Maryland (0-3) and Florida A&M (1-2) inthe First National Bank/Arby's Classic.

"The one time we got ourselves in trouble was when we werepoorly overconfident," head coach Randy Litchfield said. "I can'tbelieve there's any way that we'll be overconfident in any match weplay this weekend."

One thing the Cardinals may quickly notice is that all threeteams have bigger and stronger hitters compared to what it hasfaced so far this season. Florida A&M led in the nation lastseason with a .364 hitting percentage.

"It might be a little shock for us because we've played foursmaller teams to date," Litchfield said.

The team will open the weekend against Maryland on Friday, whichLitchfield said he considers a top 30 team. After winning the ACClast season and making it to the second round of the tournament,but Terps were picked to finish second in the ACC this season, buthave started this season slow.

"They really developed into one of the nations best volleyballprograms over the course of the last five years," Litchfieldsaid.

The toughest test of the trip will come on Saturday when theCardinals face No. 2 Nebraska. However, Litchfield said he feelslike he has a team that can stick with the Huskers. Nebraska is theonly team in the field Ball State has faced before, and only once,losing 3-0.

"With Nebraska, you have your hands full with their net play,"Litchfield said. "I feel like for the first time in a while we'vegot the personnel that can counter that."

A stronger middle presence then the Cardinals have had inprevious years led by juniors Rachel Refenes and Kristin Westhofwill help combat a tough Nebraska team. Refenes is averaging 1.83blocks per game, with Westhof averaging 1.33.

The Cardinals final match will be against a team that has onlyone U.S. citizen on its roster. Florida A&M enters the weekendwith a win over St. Johns and losses to Mid-American Conferenceschool Ohio and Michigan State.

Litchfield said one of the neatest things about the trip will begetting to see and play in the atmosphere of the Nebraska Coliseum,which is considered one of the greatest home-court advantages incollegiate volleyball.

With a capacity of 4,030 the Coliseum has helped the Huskers to12 undefeated seasons at home, and the team has an overall recordof 405-29 there. Litchfield said the experience will really helpthe team in December if they are lucky enough to get to play in theNCAA Tournament.