Students voice opinions at SGA forum

Discussion included parking, shuttle system and information availability

The first Student Government Association open forum succeeded atcreating a dialogue between the students and the executive board,the SGA president said.

"It was exactly what I wanted to happen," Ben Tietz, president,said.

At the forum Tuesday night, students brought up issues such asparking, the shuttle system and the availability of information tostudents.

Susan Atkinson, social work major, said information pertinent tostudents, such as who to go to with a problem, is hard to find.

She suggested creating a link from the main Ball StateUniversity Web site that leads students to a place where they couldmake their concerns heard and find out about events.

Students also brought up the problem of finding commuter parkingspots.

Janie Velasquez, a nontraditional student, said she thoughtcommuter parking passes were too expensive. For a solution, shesuggested that the fee be made a part of students' tuition like thehealth fee. However, students would be able to choose which extratuition fees to pay for because not everyone uses the healthcenter, Velasquez said.

Tietz said the discussion of not only problems but also possiblesolutions was what he wanted from the forum.

Atkinson also said she liked the discussion that took placebecause she knew her complaints were getting heard and she couldhear feedback.

"We know for sure they're listening to us," she said.

Michaelene Gorka, social work major, said she thought the forumwas a good start to solving the problem of student access toinformation by allowing her to talk with the SGA executiveboard.

"It makes them seem like real people," Gorka said.

Tietz said he thought the dialogue at the forum, which about 15students attended, was positive and productive.

"The people who were here, they had a huge impact," Tietzsaid.

The forum was the first of a series that will take place once amonth. The Tietz Slate campaigned on the forums as a way ofbringing student input to SGA. The next one is scheduled for Oct.28.