Student groups unite to sponsor events

SGA cosposorship to help organizations in near future

The key to establishing successful cosponsorships with otherBall State University organizations is communication, sophomoreAlinna Nieto, the president of the Latino Student Union, said.

LSU is cosponsoring its week of events with Gamma Phi Omega andtonight's salsa and merengue dance lessons with Spectrum.

"We're always open to doing things with other groups," Nietosaid. "When we work together, we get a more diverse group ofpeople. I think it's good to work together, and it was just a goodopportunity."

The Student Government Association reintroduced a $12,000cosponsorship fee in its annual budget last week, which will gotoward helping student organizations fund events. Organizations arerequired to submit proposals to the co-sponsorship committee in aprocess that could last two months.

Nieto said cosponsoring with SGA in the future would bebeneficial because the association is more widely known on campusand would help to increase awareness of smaller organizations likeLSU. However, there are benefits to organizations finding their owngroups to cosponsor with, Nieto said.

"Cosponsorships are not necessarily because you need the helpbut because you just want to work together and build relationshipswith other organizations," Nieto said.

She said LSU decided to team up with Gamma Phi Omega this weekbecause both organizations share many of the same members, so theties were already there.

"We work very hard in both organizations, so we were like, 'Whydon't we do things collectively?'" Nieto said.

Junior Cat Zakrajsek, president of Gamma Phi Omega, said thesorority especially wanted to collaborate with LSU because they arethe only two Latino organizations on campus.

"This week is part of National Hispanic Heritage Month, andbeing the two Latino organizations on campus, we really wanted tomake sure we had events that promoted the Latino culture on campusand promoted awareness," Zakrajsek said.

Sophomore Zac Davis, Spectrum's internal vice president, wasinterested in working with LSU on the dance lessons becauseSpectrum happened to have L.A. Pittenger Student Center CardinalHall already, Nieto said.

The Latino Student Union has cosponsored events with otherorganizations in the past, including the University Program Board,Asian American Student Association and Black Student Association.Working with other organizations allows for a greater flow of ideasand brings in more diverse groups of people to events, Nietosaid.

"The option is always there to cosponsor," Nieto said. "It justdepends on each group and how willing they are to work with othergroups."