Gym renamed after Ball State alumnus

NBA star remenisces about time spent at community center

The gym in the Roy C. Buley Community Center has a new name andsome new decorations on the wall. The gym was dedicated to formerBall State player and Muncie native Bonzi Wells in a short ceremonyFriday evening.

As Wells took the stage after being introduced by Micah Maxwell,the executive director of the center, Wells spoke about his time atthe center, and began to tear up.

"That's the first time I've cried in years, probably," hesaid.

Wells has a personal connection to the gym, it was the placethat gave him his start.

"I was maybe 10 or 11," he said. "I was on the sidelines, I waskind of like a cheerleader. I just remember the day when my uncleRobert, he was a captain, he had the first pick, and he's like 'Igot my nephew.' I thought he was kidding, but he really picked me.And I played as hard as I can.

"I can remember that day like it was yesterday and that was theday and that was the day that really made me want to be one of thebest."

The dedication came after Wells donated a money to help keep thegym open. Wells was not the only one to donated, and he requestedthat he be treated in the same way as the others.

"I wasn't doing it to get nothing like this, I was doing it forthe children," Wells said. "When I heard that they were going toclose down the community center, I mean, my uncle Robert, he's adirector down here and I head about it, and I told him I wanted todo whatever I possibly can to keep this place open.

"I don't care what it takes, I'm gonna do it because this got myfoot in the door, this is what got me started and I know some moreBonzi Wells come in here down the line and they're gonna be betterthan me and I know the community center will give them achance."

Now the gym where Wells got his start will carry his name, aplaque with his face and four replica jerseys from Wells variousteams.

"What a meaningful way to not only thank Bonzi for his support,but to recognize the important role the center plays in the life ofpeople," Maxwell said.

Wells was obviously thrilled with the dedication, and nowwhenever he returns to Muncie, he can shoot hoops at the BonziWells gymnasium.

"This is a blessing, this is definitely a blessing," Wells said."I didn't expect this. They just told me a couple of days ago, andit kind of surprised me. This is unbelievable."