FOOTBALL: Ball State defense also has big night

Cards hold opponent under 100 rush yards for first time since 2001

A stout Ball State defense prevented Western Michigan fromkeeping up with the explosive Cardinals' offense. BSU's defenseheld the Broncos to 209 yards passing and just 89 yardsrushing.

The last time Ball State held an opponent under the rushingcentury mark was in Nov. 2001, when they went to Western Michiganand held the Broncos to 88 yards.

"Defensively, I thought we played fast, and when you play fast,you have a chance to be successful," head coach Brady Hokesaid.

The defense made many big plays, including a huge fourth-and-onestop on the Broncos second drive of the game. Western drove theball down to the BSU 26-yard line. Facing third-and-one, the Cardsdefense made a stop of no gain. Opting to go for the first downinstead of a long field goal, Western's Trovon Riley was stoppedagain giving Ball State momentum.

"The fourth down stop was big," Hoke said. "It gave a boost tothe offense and gave a boost mentally. I think we did a nice job ofthe defense playing together."

Another big play by the defense came with just under threeminutes to play. Backed up on their 6-yard line, Broncosquarterback Ryan Cubit dropped back to pass and was hit bysophomore linebacker Cortlan Booker. The big hit caused a fumblethat end Vincent Davis recovered. Two plays later, Charles Wynnscored on a 2-yard run.

"The fumble at the end was a great effort by Cortlan Booker,"Hoke said, "but even more so by Vincent Davis, because he hustledto recover it after forcing the quarterback out."

The Cards were led defensively by safety David Gater's 12tackles with all but one being of the solo variety. Seniorco-captain Justin Beriault was also in double digits in the tacklecolumn, recording 11.

Junior linebacker Donta Smith recorded nine tackles, includingone for a loss.

The big plays made by the defense and holding the Broncosrunning game under 100 yards were key components to the bigwin.

"Stopping the run was a big key in the game for us," Smithsaid.