MEN'S TRACK AND FIELD Cards tae break for two weeks to prepare, recoup

Time off allows team to recover from sickness; returns Feb. 6-7

Having participated in two meets in as many weeks with rigorous training in between, the Ball State men's track team will take two weeks off from competition to take a step back.

"For these two weeks, it'll give people the chance to get out of the go-go-go all the time and take a step back," head coach Jermaine Jones said. "We film all the meets, and we'll be able to take a step back and look at the mechanical stuff."

The team is coming off their most recent effort at Notre Dame last Friday, where they took first place in two events.

Sophomore Jeremy Gillingham won the shot put with a throw of 49-8 12. Following him up in fifth and sixth were freshman Zac Dommer and junior Nick Panozzo with throws of 42-7 and 40-9 12, respectively.

Gillingham took fourth place in the weight throw, an event where the Cardinals have been lacking due to the injury of their top weight thrower, junior Kyle Cleaver.

Cleaver has been sick in the hospital with an undetermined illness. However, Jones expects him to return for the next meet in two weeks.

"I don't want (Kyle) to be out, but with him being out I'd like it to be now," Jones said. "We'll just take the two weeks to get him ready to go for the next meet."

Junior Jason Howard placed second in the long jump and triple jump, a significant improvement from his fifth and third place finishes in the two events at the Purdue Open.

"Placing wise I did decent, but I'm still hard on myself. I'm still looking to do a lot better," Howard said. "I feel good going into the next couple of meets, because I'm a late bloomer."

Howard's second place jump of 21-6 14 in the long jump topped his mark at the Purdue Open by over half a foot. He made an equally substantial improvement in his triple jump from the Purdue Open.

Junior Matt Filer set a personal record in the triple jump at Notre Dame with a 46-2 12 jump, placing third. Freshman Melvin Anderson took fourth in the triple jump at 44-9 34.

"All three of my triple jumpers had one of their best jumps ever. You could definitely tell they were fired up," Jones said.

Senior Paul Panning finished first in the pole vault, in front of freshmen Ryan Lynn and Luke High, who finished fourth and fifth, respectively.

"Paul's moving right along in his progression and trying to get back into nationals," Jones said.

The team returns to competition Feb. 6-7 for the Indiana Invitational, hosted by Indiana University.