LIVE REVIEW: Student Center Tally: Archer Avenue

It's amazing what people have to go through to hear good, live music these days. Like having to sit through a lousy Detroit band called Forever The Way, as they played over-amped pseudo-musical junk Tuesday night in the Student Building's Tally. Quite frankly, it's amazing anyone's ears still work after sitting through it. To put it simply, an example can be made of their second song, "A Good Day For Hanging:" by the end of the song, this average reviewer felt that hanging might be a little less painful than further listening.

And it didn't get better with the second band. When Sparks Fly, who drove out from Dayton, Ohio, seemed to think that loudness is a fair substitute for quality, and that if the music is distorted enough, the audience has to enjoy it. Wrong! The audience was jaded throughout, and worst of all, the lead singer kept calling attention to it. One guy in the crowd could be overheard speaking under his breath, "Well, maybe they wouldn't be too bad if they just had a more original sound."

In these two bands' cases, the potential could have been there for solid performances, had they only taken the time to put the music ahead of being simply loud. And while When Sparks Fly showed at least a little more of an attempt to put the music to the forefront, too many grating inconsistencies left everyone in the room feeling cold and disinterested.

But from the moment Archer Avenue began playing, it was clear that they had known exactly what would make a solid, live performance. They were loud, that was to be expected, but they had the originality in their music to back it up. Clear, crisp and above all ground-breaking, they made it clear from song one that they were here to impress. Their songs were far from weak. The lyrics all touched on hurt, depression, fear, pain and even suicide ... but they knew when to be hard hitting and when to be subtle.

One couldn't help but bring up musical comparisons while listening. This band really knows how to blend everything from mild elements of the Beatles to more modern day music such as the beautiful sounds of Elliott Smith. As each song played, the fact that no song sounded like the one before it made the band seem even more sonically daring! In my musical opinion, that's what will keep fans coming back show after show.

If you get the chance, go see Archer Avenue live. Even better, visit your favorite local record store and ask for the album "I Was An Astronaut." I can assure you, there's nothing there that's going to disappoint you. If you're a fan of the likes of Smith and the films of Wes Anderson, you're sure to find a band you'll want to follow.