CD REVIEW: 'The Bens' self titled EP

RECENT RELEASE

5 stars

When The Bens -- Folds, Kweller, and Lee -- decided to record together, fans had one question: Really?

Folds has been busy since Ben Folds Five broke up, but Lee and Kweller aren't slouches, having developed cult followings where radio is actually relevant. If Lee could figure out the concept of "re-release" for his out-of-print early material, those fans would be happier.

With one solo album already, Folds has been recording EPs to pass the time: Sunny 16, Speed Graphic, and the unreleased (delayed) Super D. The EPs are hodgepodges; Folds has a lot of fun in the studio, and the discs show the results of a mad yet mellowed-out southerner left alone with a piano. Folds is also producing William Shatner's new disc, which might feature special guests.

"Right now I've got it set for Henry Rollins and Shatner to have a screaming match," Folds said in an Arizona Republic review.

The Bens EP is wonderful: Three guys named Ben, four songs, and three unique sounds coming together. During recording sessions, Lee and Kweller reportedly wrote a song while Folds was in the bathroom. Inspiration is bizarre.

"Just Pretend," featuring Lee's signature folkish sound and shows off some stunning three-part harmonies, while "Xfire" is a rocking three-part collaboration. Use maximum volume here and ignore the pounding on your ceiling.

The third track, "Stop!" is truly Ben Kweller's, reminiscent of the softness of "Lizzy," while the fourth track, "Bruised," is Ben Folds' -- enough said.-รก

The Bens EP is not available in stores -- just on the Internet, kiddies. Dorks will have a field day here. Mac users - all five of them - can download The Bens (plus Folds' EPs and Kweller's Sha Sha) directly from the Apple iTunes store or order the CDs from Amazon or www.attackedbyplastic.com. The Internet is a beautiful thing.

While the EP is only four songs, The Bens is simply three good friends having fun. All three enjoyed the creative process and did a small tour of Australia, which was free from egos and pressure that plague so many bands (you know, like when Van Halen invites David Lee Roth to do pretty much anything).

Whoever heard of a geek rock supergroup? Now we have one, and it doesn't have Evan Dando in it.

The Bens hinted at the making of a full-length album sometime this year, with a tour to follow. We can only hope because this first effort, however short, is stellar.