LETTER: Training or not, Duplain is to blame for death

Dear Editor:

Michael McKinney was a great guy in so many ways. He always hada joke to crack and always wanted to have fun. He always remembereda familiar face. People who didn't know him are at a loss.

How do students, some of whom have a lack of experience withdeath, deal with such an event? How do we keep from pointingfingers at the man who held McKinney's life in his hands, the manwith the gun? This rookie was the only thing standing in McKinney'sway of a safe ride home and a laugh in the morning. In manypeople's eyes, Office Duplain should be blamed.

I assume we place blame because we are in shock and could neverimagine Michael doing something deserving of death. I am positivethat statement is true. Death is the last thing I could think of aspunishment.

It scares me to think that the people protecting me crumbleunder the pressure so easily and so violently. I think many peopleare scared; in the back of our minds, we know that McKinney couldhave been any one of us or our best friend. Any normal student onhis way home from the bars could have knocked on the wrong door. Ithappens.

I do blame the UPD police officer responsible for this act.Whether he completed training or not, if you can't take theadrenaline rush and keep yourself composed, put the gun down. Ifthat's true, you're in the wrong profession.

Abigail Crosley

fourth-year student