Softball team travels to meet red-hot Marshall

Two days after dropping three straight in a weekend series at home, the softball team will play a doubleheader at Mid-American Conference East division leader Marshall Tuesday at 1 p.m.

Marshall's loss to Kent State Sunday broke up an eight-game winning streak. The Thundering Herd not only stands atop the East division, but in sole possession of first place in the MAC.-á

The Herd's offense is headed by two of the hottest hitters in the league in freshman outfielder Amanda Williams (.476 Avg., 61 hits and a slugging percentage of .639) and senior third basemen De'Shaun Drake (7 home runs, 41 RBIs).

Ball State head coach Terri Laux said her team's back was against the wall before the Bowling Green series and that it is in an even more difficult predicament now.

"(Marshall) is very quick and they have solid pitching," Laux said. "They're obviously getting the job done. We want to try to keep them (Williams and Drake) off the bases. Our pitchers need to concentrate on putting the ball where plays can be made."

Drake only needs three more RBIs to become the school's all-time leader in that category.

Meanwhile, Williams will likely challenge Cardinal's senior shortstop Katie Shea for MAC Player of the Year. Shea currently boasts a league-best .488 batting average and a .791 slugging percentage.

The Cardinals have a huge amount of potential and still could make noise at the end of the season in the conference tournament, Laux said. Players have also showed a lack of patience at the plate in games where they were down by multiple runs, she said.

"We're good enough to beat anybody, but it comes down to us not taking care of ourselves," Laux added. "It's a matter of trying to do too much instead of trying to hit the ball. That change has to come from each individual."

Ball State is seventh in the MAC out of 11 teams. If the Cardinals are to make the field for the championship tourney,-áthey will have to do it by beating the two top teams in the conference, Marshall and Western Michigan.