No Blood, No Fallon: Men's basketball season revolves around starting and ending streaks

If there is one thing in the world of sports that sets it apart from other things in life, it's statistics. From percentages to odds, sports is more about numbers than it is wins and losses.

One form of statistics, at times one of the best to tell stories, is streaks.

Right now, there aren't many teams that have more to do with streaks than the Ball State men's basketball team. From breaking them to setting them it has been a season full of streaks.

At first, it was the type that everyone loves to ignore - a losing streak.

After a rough non-conference schedule during Christmas break and a dismal start to the Mid-American Conference season, Ball State found itself faced with a seven game losing streak-the worst in 15 years.

After finally notching a win last Saturday it may seem that Ball State need not worry about streaks any longer.

Not so fast.

It seems as if the streaks are becoming friends of Ball State basketball.

As quick as the winner of Joe Millionaire will be to slap that construction buff at the end of the season, Ball State has seemingly turned it around after facing an embarrassing loss to Western Michigan at home.

Perhaps one of the most important parts of a streak is its end.

Lately, that has been Ball State's specialty.

On Tuesday, Ball State broke Eastern Michigan's home winning streak of seven games. In the process the Cardinals snapped another of their own streaks - road losses.

Before Tuesday's game Ball State had not won a true road game, dropping its first five.

So what exactly does all of this streakiness mount to?

Interestingly enough, Ball State may continue a new streak this weekend - a winning streak. However, it will not come without a battle.

Saturday, Ball State plays at Miami's Millet Hall, where it hasn't won in more than 10 years. At the same time, it will try to win its third straight. If the Cardinals win, it will mark the second time this season that Ball State will be on a winning streak.

Before encountering the seven-game losing streak, Ball State had in fact won three straight - defeating IUPUI, Wright State and Indiana State.

Maybe streaks aren't so bad after all. Usually, streaks and sports combine for what is commonly thought of as a negative.

For Ball State, streak has become a friend. Maybe not a friend, but a challenge.

And right now, Ball State appears to be a team that relishes in challenges. From winning its first road game to snapping a seven-game skid, perhaps a ten-year losing streak in the same arena is something that will continue to propel this team forward.

It's a team that most lost faith in early, with the loss of two seniors and a disappointing beginning to conference play.

I say "most lost faith" because there appears to be nine guys and four coaches who most recently have nothing but faith in themselves - something I find commendable and most of all encouraging for what is yet to come this season.

With that said, I'm going to go out on a limb.

As I said, it seems that Ball State relishes in challenges.

So I challenge you gentlemen, go to Millet Hall and make a stand. It is time for the name Ball State to be back in the conversation of the teams in the MAC.

Sophomore Matt McCollom has said it on two different occasions - "We were just sick of losing."

Better yet, be sick of being second best. Be sick of hearing about Bowling Green. Be sick of listening to talk of Kent State. It's time to make everyone sick of you, and it starts this weekend with the snapping of another streak.

Write to Greg at gmfallon@bsu.edu