Cards host W. Michigan tonight

Buckley hopes he's found answer for team's woes

On more occasions than not this season, Ball State coach Tim Buckley has found himself searching for answers.

And in the midst of a six-game losing streak, the longest in more than 15 years for the Cardinals, it appears that Buckley may have finally found one.

"We have an identity crisis," Buckley said. "What I mean by that is that we have to get our guys to buy into the role that they are capable of performing. If they perform that role then we have an opportunity to be a better basketball team.

"It's accepting what it is that you have to do to make the team successful," Buckley said.

Buckley explained that teams such as Bowling Green and Marshall, the two leaders of the Mid-American Conference's West and East divisions, are both teams that are "buying into" what their coach wants of them.

The third-year coach added that although it is his players not getting the message, the blame should be on his shoulders most of all.

"The whole thing starts with me," he said. "I am not going to point the finger at anybody, other than this guy. What I have to do a better job of, is telling them exactly what I need for them to do for us to have success.

"I felt like I have explained it, but maybe I haven't explained it as well as it needs to be explained," he said.

Buckley used junior forward Mark Farris as an example.

"Mark averages 16 minutes a game," he said. "He's played in 13 games; he only has nine offensive rebounds.

"Mark can touch the top of the square (on the backboard)," Buckley said with a smile. "He needs to offensive rebound; he doesn't need to be a jump shooter. We need to get more of that with our guys, I could go down the list of guys but that is just one example."

Tonight, Ball State will put its coach's newfound answer to the test, hosting Western Michigan in hopes of snapping its skid.

But like most MAC games, it doesn't seem as if the Broncos will be an easy team to redefine roles against.

Despite coming to Worthen Arena with a 1-3 MAC record, Western Michigan's overall record stands at 9-4 after defeating the likes of Michigan, Auburn, Virginia Tech and others in the pre-conference schedule. The Broncos only conference win came in their last game against Eastern Michigan on Saturday, 87-54.

Aside from Western Michigan being what Buckley called a "physical and strong" team, it is the Bronco's depth that concerns Ball State's coach.

"They could go 12 deep." Buckley said.

Western has three players who average double figures in scoring in Mike Williams (14.7), Robby Collum (12.6), and Anthony Kann (12).

"Kann, their big fella, has just gotten better and better each year," Buckley said. "He is really beginning to become a low post threat for them."

However, the player that Buckley is most concerned with is the Bronco point guard, Collum.

"Robby Collum is as good a point guard as there is in the league," Buckley said. "He's their head; you have to chop it off."

"You have to try to figure out who their key is to victory. I know from last year's statistics, when Collum played well, Western won. When he didn't play well, then Western struggled."

Ball State has won seven of the last ten meetings between the two teams but split the series last season, winning at home against the Broncos but losing at Kalamazoo, Mich.